Eden

"Eden's dead."

I drop to my knees, watching the tears flow like rain from Kori's eyes. "What??" This can't be real. Not THE Eden Morris, Kori's fiancée. They were preparing for a huge wedding next summer, in which I would be maid of honor; a wedding that at this point was uncertain, despite their sweet beginnings in high school.

I flashback to the first time Kori introduced him as her boyfriend. I had heard so much about him before our actual meet, that I practically knew him already. Kori and I were outside Fairwood High School during lunch, sitting on a bench under a tree in front of the school's main entrance.

"There he is!" Kori squirmed under her breath, burying her mouth in my left arm pit as a 6'2, dark toned, bare-faced, athletic built sweaty 17-year old Eden came jogging towards us with the biggest smile. He had obviously been at PE before lunch.

"Sup KoKo puffs," he said, kissing Kori on the forehead before she had time to react. He had given my best friend a pet name. How cute, I thought. Even more so that Kori was blushing, a sign that she saw more in this guy than a quick piece of meat to suppress her inner pain.

"Hey Eden," she replied soft-like, noticeably adjusting her posture so that more of her D cup cleavage was visible to him. At fifteen, much of Kori's body was already fully developed. She used it to her advantage every chance she got, though Eden didn't seem to respond to her gesture. Like a gentleman, He kept his eyes aligned with hers until she directed his attention to me.

"I want you to meet my best friend, Destiny," she said proudly.

Eden's smile widened, his hand outstretched to shake mine. "Finally, we meet," he said.

"I know right," I responded as we ended the handshake. "She's always talking about Eden."

Kori elbowed me. "Dee!" She exclaimed.

Already, I had said too much. "Sorry," I awkwardly chuckled.

Eden sat down next to Kori on the edge of the bench and wrapped his arm around her waist. "Don't be sorry, Dee," he said, moving his face closer to Kori's left ear. "A beautiful girl like you better be talking about me."

Ignoring his loud stench, Kori blushed again. I could see why.

Eden was a charmer—A people's person. He had the looks and the top notch personality. Although he was a new junior at Fairwood High, he gained popularity quickly. Starred on the A team Boy's basketball roster. Was a member of the FBE (Future Black Entrepreneurs) group and had his hands working in every school event he could. I couldn't help but wonder how a popular outgoing guy like him took interest in a sophomore like Kori. He could've had any girl he wanted, most guys like him went for the female equal. Truth is popularity and class doesn't always equate to taste in particular spouses.

They were inseparable. I was happy for my friend, but sad that I was often a third wheel, forced to share the bond that once existed just between Kori and I with another person. On the bright side, I had rather it be a good man for her than some random dog or no good distraction. Eden genuinely loved Kori, and no one could deny it.

His love showed more and more as time progressed, we became adults, and more of Kori's flaws were exposed. Eden was at her every beckoning call, juggling between her and networking to gain clientele at his Barbershop. His love and attention could not keep Kori from doing what she wanted, however. Partying, drinking, sleeping with other men. Eden knew about it all. The relationship became tough, but he held on to her. It is only recently that he seriously contemplated calling it quits.

Now he's gone. Forever.

They say the good die young. I'm starting to believe it's true. Because why Eden? I know of a few candidates more worthy to meet death's hand than him. This news is crushing the depths of me. We're told he was gunned down around 5 in the morning, heading into his shop. How had I missed hearing about this until now? Kori and I had been telling him for months that because his business was picking up, he needed to invest in stronger security. Cameras, maybe even a personal security guard. We told him that everyone claiming to support him were not all legit. His shop was in the heart of Memphis crime. He felt by opening shop there, it could cut back the neighborhood crime rate and bring unity. For the most part, it did. Just not enough to save him from the evil that remained.
.............................................................................