No Call, No Show

Oh, shoot! 8:05 am. I am late getting out of bed, and will be late for work. Seems time has escaped me, recollecting the events from last night.

   I quickly straighten the red and black wild leopard comforter set on my king size bed as neatly as I can without wasting time on my usual perfected tidy. No time for breakfast. Teeth are brushed. Shower with my favorite Dove Lavender body wash. Fifteen-minute basic beat on my already flawless almond colored skin. My auburn brown natural 4b textured hair is banded into a high centered ponytail that tilts slightly off my forehead. I struggle to squeeze my bottom half into a size 18 pair of khaki jeggings, put on an XL red Polo shirt, white Nike shoes, grab my Target name tag and head for the front door.

   Target is my second job. I work there on weekends to supplement the income I get from working as a Regions bank teller throughout the week. I've earned a degree in Finance, but that hasn't quite landed me an executive position at the bank. Told I must start from the bottom of the chain and build my way up. Inserts eye roll. Being a millennial entering into the career world after college graduation has turned out to be harder than anticipated. My professors hadn't stressed to me the importance of networking prior to graduation, so here I am forced to work two jobs in order to afford my rent and a few manicures, Crayon Case makeup and booty-popping dresses on the side.

   Kori actually put me on at Target. She's one of the sales floor team leaders, and was able to get me hired as a sales floor team member (euphemisms for supervisor and associate) three years back. She works on weekends as well. Most times we ride to work together, but after several unsuccessful attempts to reach my somewhat stubborn best friend on the phone, I drive myself.

   I arrive fifteen minutes late. My vehicle is parked, and I speed-walk into the building, skimming through the crowd of customers. This is where things get tricky with me and Kori. Because she's my direct supervisor, she has to be ten times harder on me than other associates at work, so as it doesn't seem to be any favoritism or special privilege. I fully understand that it's business and expect that when she sees me, there will be consequences for my tardiness.

   Once I am clocked in, I check the schedule board to see what area I am assigned to work. Today, it's soft-lines, my preference. Somehow, I have found a happy space in folding clothes and organizing racks for eight hours. It gives me a moment to meditate on my next moves in life. How I plan to earn a promotion at the bank so I can free up weekends to spend more time with the man I love. Take vacations. See dad more often. Hang out with best friend like we did in high school. She and I could benefit from the extra bonding. Our busy schedules and life in general have gotten in the way of us behaving like the 18 year old Kori and Destiny. Sometimes I get sad thinking of how quickly we had to grow up. Maybe that's why Kori didn't care to hear criticism from me. I am the one constant person in her life, around which she can take a moment to exhale. The one person, up until last night, that has never pressured her to do or be anything more or less than who she is. Have I broken that safe-haven for her? Have I?

Suddenly, I feel remorseful. Like I should apologize. Not for what I said but how I said it. No matter how true it was, there's a way to say anything. I admit that last night, my tone wasn't the typical sweet Dee everyone is used to.

Last night. Last night. Last night. I want to be over it already! The quicker I see Kori and apologize, the quicker I can move past whatever this is causing my gut to twist and turn into knots.

Before I head to my assigned zone, I am on a mission to find Kori. She's not in her office. I check the break room, no luck there. I walk the entire store. Twice. Three times. Four. No Kori in sight. Finally, I head back to the break room again. The executive team leader, a middle-aged tall blonde with "Princess Diana" vibes, is grabbing a Smart Water bottle from the fridge.