Getting Ready

Owen and Tosh:

            The morning dawned bright and early. Far too early for Owen’s liking.

            “Good morning,” Tosh sighed as she rolled over.

            Owen groaned, “What’s so good about it? It’s 6:30 in the bloody morning.” Tosh laughed at her husband’s grumbling, knowing he was not a morning person at all.

            “Come on, we’re dropping by the hospital today before we go into work, remember?” Tosh said, getting out of bed and starting to get dressed.

            “Awe,” Owen whined, “Do we have to? We could go to the hospital later tonight and sleep some more now.”

            “You,” Tosh said affectionately, leaning down to kiss him, “Whine more than Daniel does in the morning.” He laughed quietly and pulled her down on top of him.

            “Owen!” she squealed, “We need to get up.”

            “I already am,” he said, winking at her. Tosh laughed and blushed slightly. It was amazing, even after little more than two years together he could still make her blush with his crude humor. He leaned up to kiss her when suddenly they heard Daniel through the baby monitor on the table.

            Owen groaned and fell back against his pillow, “Cockblocked by a one year old,” he mumbled and Tosh laughed.

            “Look on the bright side,” she told him, “When he’s sixteen and has a girlfriend you can repay the favor. Now, get up and go make breakfast while I go get him ready. Then you can come back up and get yourself ready.” Tosh got up and went into Daniel’s room while Owen went downstairs.

            “Bloody well right I’ll be repaying the favor,” he grumbled.

Gwen and Rhys:

            “So you just rest up and I’ll be back with the discharge papers around noon,” the doctor told Gwen and Rhys smiling.

            “Alright, sounds good,” Gwen said beaming. The doctor nodded and left the room.

            “What time are Owen and Tosh supposed to be here at?” Rhys asked.

            “Around 7:30,” Gwen told him, “They’re just stopping by and they have to be at work for eight.” Rhys nodded but looked confused.

            “I thought visiting hours didn’t start until nine?” he asked.

            “Torchwood,” she said simply.

Jack and Ianto:

            “Come on little man,” Jack said heading downstairs, holding Kayden’s hand, “Let’s go get something to eat shall we?”

            “Yeah!” Kayden said, walking downstairs slowly. They went into the kitchen which was neat and spotless, the way Ianto liked it. It still smelled of coffee from when Ianto had made Jack a cup the night before.

            “Just because I can’t drink it doesn’t mean I’m going to let you drink that poor excuse for coffee from down the road,” he had said. Jack sat Kayden down at the table and then poured him a bowl of cereal. Ianto walked into then kitchen just as the bell rang. Jack walked to the door and pulled it open.

            “Steven!” he said.

            “Uncle Jack!” the young boy exclaimed as he hugged Jack tightly. It still made Jack smile every time Steven called him that. Steven knew Jack wasn’t his uncle. His mum had told him and Jack had sat down and explained it all when the boy started coming around more. Then when his uncle Ianto ended up pregnant… well… there are some things that require a lot of explaining. But, Steven had been calling Jack his uncle for so long now it seemed weird to stop.

            “You hungry?” Jack asked and Steven nodded.

            “He hasn’t eaten yet, sorry about that, we were running late,” Alice said.

            “That’s alright,” Jack said, “Kayden’s just eating now. Tell you what, why don’t you go and ask your Uncle Ianto if you can have some cereal?” Jack suggested and Steven said goodbye to his mum and went inside.

            “Are you sure this is alright?” Alice asked.

            “Yeah of course,” Jack said, “So long as you still don’t mind him spending the day at the hub.”

             “Yeah, yeah, it’s fine. I just can’t believe that his school holiday and this meeting fell on the same day. Thanks again for watching him.” Alice said.

            “Of course, it’s not a problem. You should probably go before you’re late.” She nodded and hugged Jack.

            “Thanks dad,” she whispered.

            “You’re welcome,” he said quietly, “We’ll drop him off at your place tomorrow morning okay?” Alice nodded, shouted goodbye to Steven, and left for work.