Prologue

In the Sunwing court, a dragon stood with her two eggs and mate.

The Sunwing Queen look down at the down at the pair, her long, forked tongue flicking in and out of her mouth. She was quiet. Deathly quiet.

"Do you know what you've done?" The Queen snarled, her wings raised.

"Y-yes, Sol..." The dragon murmured, clutching her two eggs.

"You... you corrupted the bloodline with an Eclipsewing!?" Queen Sol snarled, her black feathers ruffling. "Ill... have you killed for this! And your eggs!" 

Guards rushed around the dragons. The Sunwing looked over at her Eclipsewing mate, handing him the eggs.

"You know what to do... I love you, Comet..." A tear fell from her eye and onto her eggs.

"I love you too, Sunrise..." Comet responded. He nodded his head and closed his eyes...

A blinding flash of light, followed by a shriek and noises of fighting, and Comet was off. His wings cut through the glass panes of the castle, and he held the eggs tight. He opened his eyes, out in the air. It was nighttime, so he spread his wings as far as he could, gliding among the stars. He knew where he had to go. Ember City. A city located in one of the many areas of territory that wasn't claimed. A place of peace. A place of harmony. A place where everyone was allowed, even the "old tribes". A place where his children could grow up safe. A bird flew past his face. A chifree, Sunrise's favorite bird. He remembered why she loved them so much. Their beautiful blue eyes, four golden wings, and the two trailing tail feathers. Comet choked out a sob, tears falling from his eyes. He knew she was gone. He flapped his wings as hard as he could, throwing himself against the wind to find a place to rest for the night. His tail flicked, and he blinked slowly. A cave opened up before him, and he dove into it. His eyes flashed green, and he activated his night vision. This place was good. Cold, but good. He dropped the eggs into a small hole in the rock, and began to put plants around the opening. He grabbed a small rock and sharpened his claw, setting himself to work.

My dear, I am in tears. Forever will I remember you. Your spirit will flow back into the ground, and I await my arrival to you with open arms. Goodbye my love, goodbye, my beautiful chifree.

Comet set the small grave down in his satchel. Once he reached Ember City, he would find someplace to put it. Someplace his wife would have loved. A small noise made him more alert, and he walked back over to the eggs. They shimmered in the moonlight coming through the cave. Creeaakk. He raised his head. Was someone in here? Crick. He looked down at his claws. One of the eggs was hatching! He leaned down and held the egg in his claws. Small shards of shell broke off in his grasp, and soon enough a little dragonet fell from the egg. Comet studied her close. Her scales were beautiful. She had four feathered wings, with black feathers and golden striped all across her body! Her eyes were a bright blue, with slit pupils. Her tail feathers were black, with tips that looked like fire. She looked up at him with curious eyes. Behind him, though, the other egg was hatching. A small dragon fell out of the shell. He looked up at his father, holding his sister in his arms. His colors were a lot more monochromatic. He had two wings, black with grey tips. His body was black, with a grey underbelly and black tail feathers. The only color on him was a dark purple on the tip of his tail feathers. His only gold marking was a line that went around his mouth. He narrowed his grey eyes and stumbled over to his father. He bumped into his father, begging for attention. Comet looked down at his and stifled his breath of surprise. He picked up the small dragon and set him down in front of him. He should decide names. He looked down at his daughter, and sat down. "You'll be Citrine..." 

Citrine made a playful growling noise.

"And you... you'll be Dusk" Comet looked down at Citrine and smiled.

Dusk looked up at his father, and curled up in his arms.