Chapter Thirty-Nine: Ruari

Começar do início

Kevan told me there were whispers, of secret auctions and about Meinor's bizarre taste for the exotic. At first he thought it was nothing harmful so he never paid much attention to the gossip. But when he accidentally discovered the hidden operation, founded by Meinor himself, to collect rare breeds of the supernatural he thought it was high time to try and step up, to put an end to his psychotic behavior.

He admitted that finding out I was alive was a happy coincidence. He knew he wouldn't be able to take on Meinor alone. And he needed my help to achieve his goals.

At first he was reluctant to admit it but Kevan looked me in the eye and told me honestly that he thought of using me against Meinor. I know it seems foolish but from that point on I think I started to admire my brother.

Kevan is not a coward or liar. He's just misguided.

Being surrounded with people, who teaches you how to use others, regardless of relation, could cloud your judgment. When your first lesson had always been how to strike first before they could strike you then you will learn nothing but how to hurt and betray people until you become smarter and learn otherwise.

I understand that there was a time when I was nothing but a means to an end for him. That regardless of his amicable feelings towards me as his twin my brother, for a time, he thought of using that connection to pit me against Meinor. That he intended to use my strength to counteract the devil we have the misfortune to call our half brother.

I think that particular time of his life where he lacked moral ground bothered him more than it did me. I honestly understand where he's coming from. If he'd told me this on an entirely different setting I would have scoffed and condemn him for it but I've seen what the raiders could do. I know the exact number of graves we had to dig and the bodies we had to bury.

Kevan doesn't show it but he's more sensitive and vulnerable than I am. In the short time that I've known him I realized that he cares too deeply, too fast. He's too free with his affection that it scares me sometimes. It's like he doesn't have filters on his emotions.

Oh sure he covers it well with a lot of bullshit and sarcastic words but if you look closely and listen carefully every remark or comment has a hidden message underneath all that false bravado. It's a bit funny how he can't seem to be honest and forthcoming with his real feelings. He has to take the long way around on everything before he figures out it would have been easier for him and everyone if he'd been open in the first place.

We were making our way towards the tree line and to safety when someone boomed, "HALT!"

From the shiver of anticipation running down my spine, I didn't have to turn to know who it was that commanded everyone to pause.

It was like a scene from those war movies. When the dust settled the forces were evenly divided to our side and theirs.

I stood in the middle of my pack with Ciaran on my back and Lorcan and Kevan flanking my sides. We could stand and fight or we could turn tail and run. Everyone was restless and eager to fight. I know they wouldn't want to run but fighting would take time. I have no doubt in my mind that we would emerge victorious but we don't have much time left. I could feel Ciaran slowly slipping away from my grasp and if we wait more he could be lost to me, to us for good.

I eyed my half-brother critically for the first time. Like me he's standing in the middle of his forces, ready for to defend or attack, waiting for next move to counter.

Meinor stands a head taller than I am and in every respect he looks stronger. But when I look at him I don't see an alpha king. All I could see is a pathetic man who hides behind a name and a crown to get what he wants. Even his scent smells that of a coward because only a coward would dare to collect people's lives.