A Small Favor With Big Strings

Start from the beginning

It was 'normal' to turn a blind eye to abuse, society accepted this and moved on. Imagining herself in that situation with no control made her stomach flip. 

Later that night when she was finished with her dinner she began to pace up and down her kitchen until she remembered Thomas Shelby had sat at her table. Had demanded something from her.

Amelia grabbed her coat and was out the door, not caring that it was late. Quickly knocking on the Shelby's door she waited with bated breath.

Polly opened the door surprised "Ada's not in love-"

"Sorry" Amelia pushed her way into the house "Sorry to barge in like this Polly but I need to speak to Mr Shelby urgently"

Polly took her in and decided now wasn't the time to ask. Pulling her through to the betting den situated next door she left her in the middle of the room. Amelia began to feel sick, she was certain she was making a big mistake but she couldn't get her feet to move. Polly entered the room then with a glass of whiskey with Thomas Shelby following behind.

Thomas took one look at Amelia and eye'd Polly to go back home, Polly nodded quickly and left the room.

"It's late" he said.

Amelia sighed and walked straight past him to an office she believed would be at the back of the betting den. Thomas followed behind, keeping his distance and assessing her. It was obvious to him that she required something, a woman like that wouldn't show up on a gangsters door step in the middle of night for nothing.

Amelia soon found his room and sat down in font of his desk, her legs crossed with her bag on her lap. Thomas would of smirked at the subtle show of dominance if she wasn't now looking at him.

He coughed to break the silence "What can I do for you Miss Crostwell?" and he took a seat at his desk and began to light a cigarette. 

"You owe me" she stated as she looked up at him "You owe me for letting your brute smack me into a wall" and there was no anger there, just calm facts.

Thomas smirked "that wasn't on my orders love" and he started to pour himself a drink, he offered her one but she declined. 

Amelia pushed her hair off her shoulders in a aggravated way but was openly trying to avoid an argument. Thomas didn't push but he made a mentalnote and pushed it to the back of his head.

"Do you know of a Jessica Harth?" she asked, her big doe eyes waiting for him to answer.

"I know of her. I know that her husband works in the Marquis pub" and he puffed out a large cloud of smoke. To say he was intrigued was an understatement. Thomas could feel his heart thumping loudly in his chest waiting for her to continue.

"Is he of any value to you?"

"None" and he was being honest.

Amelia tilted her head back and took in a deep breath before meeting his eyes again. There was a small silence before she spoke, her beautiful lips curving "Can you take care of him?"

Thomas almost laughed out loud for the first time in years. The woman in front of him wanted a man 'taken care of' he knew exactly what she meant but could never have seen this coming. Amelia was a mystery and he wanted to figure it out.

"You'll have to fill me in- you want me to take-"

"I require your services Mr Shelby" she hissed, her temper suddenly flaring "You do offer these services correct?" she blazed.

A twitch of his lips gave him away but Amelia decided to pick her battle.

"They are"

"Well I need him taking care of. I do not need him dead so please understand that. I need him to simply feel....vulnerable" and she sat back, relieved but also disgusted with herself.

Before Thomas could reply she opened up her back and threw down a hundred pounds in notes. Thomas didn't even bother to look at the money, he was too busy watching the good woman that she was unravel in front of him. Like a Christmas present.

"What's the man done?" he asked suddenly, leaning forward and roughly stubbing out his cigarette.

Amelia rolled his eyes at his question as if it wasn't obvious "The man beats his wife"

Thomas scoffed "A lot of men beat their wives Miss Crostwell- it's society we live in" and he shrugged causing her fists to twitch.

"I don't care what a lot of men do Mr Shelby. Do we have a deal?"

Thomas clasped his hands in front of his face and pretended to think about her offer.

"We have a deal Miss Crostwell but the money isn't required" he picked it up and gently placed it into her lap "Let's say you owe me one?" and he reached out to shake her hand.

Amelia thought about it and was certain the favor would include patching up one of his men and quickly grabbed his warm hand. Amelia quickly let go as if she had been electrocuted and stood up, shoving the money into her purse.

"You shouldn't be walking the streets with that kinda money- let me walk you home" and he started to walk around the table but she stopped him.

"Give this to a local charity Mr Shelby it's no use to me" and she slapped the cash back down on his desk "I can walk home alone" and before he could argue with her she was out the door as quickly as she came. 

The smell of her perfume hit him like a slap to the face and he wondered why it was suddenly affecting him. Sitting back down he took a big gulp of his whiskey and pressed his thumbs into the corners of his eyes.

"Fucking women" he hissed.