One short story

The glass felt cold against their forehead. The rain had finally stopped but the streets were still flooded. Their head gently banged against the window in a rhythmic manner, it was calming in an odd way. Their thoughts were empty, which was a break from the usual clutter. "Wren? Are you up there?" A voice snapped them out of their trance. It was Quinn, their best friend. "I can hear you banging your head on the window, come down," he said standing in the doorway. "What if I don't want to?" Wren signed, looking through the window.

          "You know I can't see what you're signing," Quinn said, walking into the white room. Wren sighed, shifting around in their comfort zone to face the door. They slowly climbed down the rickety shelves, finally landing on the floor. "I don't know how you haven't fallen off from that place yet," Quinn joked, shaking the loose shelf. "Who says I haven't?" Wren joked, silently laughing. "Well come on, Bo's going to cut your hair again," He took Wren's hand in his own. Quinn's hands were always soft when Wren held it, no matter how much Quinn harmed them.

          "Can't I just grow out my hair? I promise I won't pull it," They signed again, giving Quinn pleading eyes. "You know all to well why you can't grow out your hair," Quinn responded, looking at the macabre art that hung on the walls. Wren remembered very clearly the last time they had long hair, and the pain that accompanied the memory. They had nearly ripped out all of their hair from stress and anxiety. Now Bo, their friend and owner of the house, cuts and shaves their head so it doesn't happen again. Bo had inherited the house from an older relative, the whole house wasn't even sure if Bo was related to this "long lost relative" or if it was just a lie.

          "Bo? Are you awake?" Quinn shouted into the living room, echoing through the rest of the house thanks to the vents. They heard shuffling from Bo's room, then a thud, then some more shuffling before his door slammed open. Bo looked like a mess, bedhead supreme, wearing a tattered shirt and shorts. "You look like a mess," Wren signed while they giggled. "Of course I'm a mess I didn't sleep well thanks to Jessie's outbursts so I get an earful every time he throws shit around," he snapped back, rubbing his eye. "You know you can cover the vents right? There are covers around here somewhere," Quinn said, looking upwards to the ceiling. "Never mind that, can you cut Wren's hair again?" He asked gesturing to Wren's head.

          "Yeah yeah I'll cut it, let me just get the supplies," Bo grumbled, backing up into his room. "Why can't you or Jessie cut my hair?" Wren asked, looking up at Quinn. "First off, I'll ruin your hair if I cut it for you. Secondly, Jessie is banned from using knives remeber?" Quinn answered, leading the both of them to the bathroom. Bo followed shortly after, holding a rolled up cloth that held the tools. Wren sat in the bathtub, legs crossed while Bo sat on the edge of the tub holding a pair of scissors. Bo started to cut Wren's hair, letting the strands of hair fall to the tub. After he cut the longer strands of hair, Bo put away the scissors and brought out the electronic shaver.

          Wren was scared of the shaver, no matter how much he got his hair cut he was still terrified of the thing. Quinn sat with one leg in the tub and one leg out of the tube, holding Wren's hand while he rubbed it with his thumb. Wren squeezed Quinn's hand as Bo shaved his head. Soon it was done and Wren relaxed. Their hair now shaved, they got out of the tub, still holding Quinn's hand while they got the broom. They all helped clean up the hair from the tub before they went into the kitchen to eat. They all ate cereal in silence until Bo spoke up. "Have any of you seen Jessie? He hasn't come down yet," he asked. "I think he's still in his room," Wren signed, pointing to a room in the hall. "Let him sleep so we can enjoy the silence," Bo said in a snarky voice. Wren laughed, knowing Bo didn't enjoy the loudest house member.

I just had this thought in my head and I had to write it. Sorry the ending sucked but it's the best I could think of.

Regards~