Chapter Fifteen: Troye

The front door burst open. I started, having been almost asleep on the sofa, I was suddenly awake and alert. My heart racing in my chest, I turned my head towards the door. I visibly deflated when I saw the “intruder”. Tristan.

He rushed to my side, practically shaking. I looked away, not wanting to see him. A sigh escaped his lips, and he reached out a finger to gently move my face so that it was right next to his.

 “Troye.” He said it softly, in amazement that I had even stayed in the room that long. My lips trembled as I looked at his unkempt form. It looked as if he’d been crying, his eyes were tired and his hair messy. A large but loving hand took mine, and I melted under his touch. Yes, I was weak, but what else is there when you’re in love?

 “I’m so sorry babe. I don’t know what came over me. I shouldn’t have yelled at you, I just-“ He broke off, tears threatening to spill over onto his rosy cheeks. There was an indescribable pain in my chest, and I felt like I’d do anything to ease the pain he and I were both feeling.

 “It’s ok. I love you.” He burrowed his head into the crook of my shoulder, and I felt his lips upturn in a smile against my bare skin. I drew comfort in his presence and the warmth of his body against mine. We stayed that way for a long time, the sun had risen slightly in the sky by the time we could bear to be separated.

 Wordlessly, I threw on a shirt, and we headed out the door. Tristan seemed to have a clear idea of where he wanted to go, and I followed him blindly, trusting the happiness emanating from his smile. We stopped at a small coffee shop on the corner of a quiet street. Where we’d had our first date.

 The waitress smiled at us, obviously remembering the many times we’d come here, so naïve and in love. Things had changed. I loved him, but he’d changed, I’d changed, we weren’t the same. I could never leave him, but I wasn’t as blind as I used to be. 

 Tristan stopped at the small table in the corner, and pulled out the comfy chair that I always sat in. I smiled up at him as he pushed my chair in before sitting in the one opposite. The sun was illuminating his face and casting shadows over his figure. 

 “Why did you go out clubbing?” My wavering voice broke our comfortable silence, and Tristan’s head whipped towards me. His Adam’s apple bobbed as he tried to find the words to explain the actions that hurt me so much.

 “Why did you hurt me like that? I was crying so much, and you didn’t give a shit! You left to get smashed with your friends!” I kept my voice low, not wanting to draw attention to the pain I was feeling inside and the possible deterioration of my relationship.

 “No babe, no. I was just so upset, I wasn’t thinking straight. You are the most important person in my life, and I never meant to hurt you, but sometimes I act before I realise what I’m doing. I hate seeing you in pain, and trust me, it hurt me too, to walk out that door. I love you so much, I can’t live without you.”

 A small smile rose on my face, breaking into a massive beam as he softly pressed his lips to the back of my hand in a tender gesture. My cheeks burst into flame and my heart raced faster than I could ever remember it doing. This is what it was like before.

 When he would surprise me. He would take me on random dates, not telling me where we were going, but always managing to make it absolutely incredible and romantic.

Flashback

It was mine and Tristan’s second date. Our first had been amazing, he was hot, witty, funny, creative and intelligent, all of which were qualities that I admired and was attracted to. There was just something about him, he was so mysterious and yet so open at the same time. How he was even real, I honestly didn’t know.