What is Freedom?

My eyes widened.

"What?" I asked, almost breathless.

"I mean, assassination is much more affective, especially through our methods, and less wolves die. So that, when the true purpose of our actions is discovered and it calls for war, there are more wolves to fight with. Plus it helps that they're already trained to kill since they were rather young."

Phoenix held her candle to her chest, still smiling.

"But I think the real question you're asking is, what freedom does this camp have? Truth is, wolves have a natural desire to follow or lead. Those who are too weak to lead, are forced to follow Alphas. But I give them a choice. Follow me, and do as I ask, or, leave. You know the rules around here."

I shook my head at her in disbelief. "Then why call it a camp? Why not just call it a pack? That's what it is!" She snorted.

"To keep the illusion of course. People fight best when they fight for something they truly believe in. But if it makes you feel better, I didn't always want to start out with this camp. It just works better than the pathetic pack I burned."

I fell silent as she continued.

"You see, I didn't want to be a rouge, Alexander. I always wanted to be an Alpha. I almost was the Luna, but I was found out. I tried to tell the Alpha my truth, that I didn't really want to hurt him, that's just what I'd been sent to do. But he didn't believe me." She said softly, and I found myself swallowing silently.

"He tried to kill me...Me." She told me as if it were hard to believe.

"So I defended myself, and I took off his idiotic head." She was speaking bitterly now as she picked up a small rod of iron and put it over the candle's flame, balancing it as she spoke.

"The other wolves tried to stop me, tried to kill me too. But I found a friend." She smiled, gesturing to all of the candles in the room.

"They couldn't kill me if they were trying to put out a fire. I picked them off one by one. It's sad that no one from that pack joined us, but they all knew what I'd planned." She was speaking softer now as she approached me.

Her eyes had a wild look in them as she stared at the base of the rod. Which was being slowly cooked by the candle's flame.

"I had to kill them to keep my secrets." She was mumbling now as I took a step away from her.

"What's the matter Alex?" She asked, her gaze snapping up at my movement.
My heart was pounding.

"You're, insane." I shook my head at her.
"You plan on killing every single Alpha in the land, just so you can rule over all of us as a 'Free Camp'?" I asked but she shook her head.

"Oh no, by that time, it'll have become a Kingdom." She told me and I frowned.

"You can't do that, Phoebe."

"Don't call me that Alex. I earned my name, and I live by it." She told me with a blank face.

I stared at her, before my attention went to the iron rod. The tip had began to glow a very soft red hue.

"Now I'm sorry but, you're a bit too bright. It's a shame to have to get rid of you, Alexander."

I raised my hands as if in surrender. "I'm leaving the camp anyway." I told her still frowning at her.

"Oh that won't stop you." She shook her head.

"You know the Camp's location, you know we can't scatter as well as we used to be able to. We're vulnerable here and you know it." She said almost with a hiss as she stepped towards me.

"And you think that Synthia's pack is strong enough to scatter this camp?" I asked raising a brow.

I was bluffing, I'd seen her scouts and her guards. One person getting passed them was completely different from them all attacking one place.

"I'm not stupid Alex!" She snapped, taking the rod off the candle.

I watched her carefully, taking another step back.