The Call

The next morning, Damon had told her how and when to call her family, sense they were far from them she knew the hours were different. She had called after lunch, which was after dinner there.

            Her mother was the one to pick up the phone, “Hello?”

            “Mother, hi.” Fernanda said with a sad smile.

            “Fernanda, by the goddess, are you alright? You have been gone for what seems like days now! Why haven’t you called? Where on Earth are you?” Her mother started rambling, this as usually only annoyed Fernanda.

            “Mother, please I am fine. And I don’t plan on going back home any time soon, I couldn’t call earlier because I was…Busy.” Fernanda said to stop the interrogation, then bluntly she said, “How is everyone?”

            With a sigh Catherine responded, “We’re all just worried. Your father and sister don’t talk much anymore I’m afraid... Fernanda, sweet heart, it would be a good idea if you came back home now.”

            “Is it really? A good idea, I mean?  Never mind that. What are you all up to?” she knew they would be acting the same but she wanted to hear it. “And please don’t lie to me; it would do us both good to know the truth…”

            The rest of the night they both talked and told each other the most worthy of events, Fernanda avoided telling her about where she was or even how she got there, because frankly she didn’t know herself. Fernanda was relieved, yet hurt, to hear that everyone was doing fine; they all carried their usual lives, as if she never left or existed.

        She felt a sudden burst of regret but it soon passed. In it's place came a wave of fear and cold. She looked around nervously, there was nothing there. Out of the cornor of her eye she saw a shodow at the balcony. She got up and walked to the balcony's half closed door, suddenly Damon walked through the front door of the room.

        Damon saw Fernanda's frozen figure by the balcony, "Hey. You alright?" he asked her. She didn't move. He started walking up to her, she felt a gust of warm breeze, then she was hugged by a cool gust of wind and Damon's arms.

        "Yeah." She said to the crook of his neck.

        "What?" he asked her parting their embrace.

        "I'm fine." She said looking into his ice white eyes. He believed her, without wuestions.

            For the rest of the week everything was fine. Damon and Fernanda had fun and did things as they pleased; going out and having fun, everything seemed perfect… until they came to visit.