9.

⤚ Simplicity and Complexity ⤙

Akiya

ANYONE who might have been a threat beforehand was no longer. Prior to emerging as kitsunes Araya and I both had bullies. Araya didn't have as much. But we still had asshole bullies in the end. Storm was very good at fending them off, but she wasn't always here.

Daiki was a huge reason we weren't bullied much anymore. He taught me basic defense as well as scared one of them shitless in the park when he was with Araya. Now after the asylum and the awakening of my nogitsune spirit they were nothing more than pests.

Annoying ants biting at you. I didn't see humans as that, but the bullies were equivalent to stepping into an ant hill and getting bit at. Frustrating and annoying but all it did was leave welts that were irritating. No more wounds that needed to be healed or in my case bruises.

Everything here was no longer as complex as it had once been. The most complex thing here now would be the formulas the math teacher had handed out for us to solve and do on the worksheet. I bit my lip. Dad was a thousand years old, he lived for a thousand years.

And was still counting, mom was nine hundred. Both metaphorically had all their tails. Araya and I had would only have one tail and that's because we were babies and 'foxes' were born with a tail. We could live for centuries. We would live for centuries.

Would this math ever be relevant? I didn't even need to think about it. Even if I was human this wouldn't have been relevant. I had no desire to sit somewhere and do formulas for the rest of my life. I mean I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

But I know it won't involve these complicated formulas that the teacher insists us to follow. AP classes. Sometimes I regret signing up for them, but this was what could get me into a top-notch college if that's what I wanted. Once upon a time it was. Now I'm not so sure.

I shook my head. No need to get ahead of myself. I had some stupid formula to solve before I entered those thoughts. The rest of the period was spent solving formulas before the bell rang and class was released as the hustle began once more.

The day was spent in an almost slow limbo as we moved on throughout the school day before the end of the day had arrived. I was the first one out and waited for the rest at my civic. Nightshade was the first one to show up. Her eyes were on her phone.

"Can you drop me off at your house? Issei is still there." Nightshade asked and I nodded. Next out was Araya and Storm who were walking next to each other. Araya had a smile on her face. She seemed at ease as she walked next to Storm.

Storm had loosened up a little, but still was tense. Diana, the werewolf no doubt was a stressful situation. It never really struck Araya or I that Storm may have people from her past. She came in here freshman year; in middle near end of the year. She had all the that time before.

It was a bit surreal knowing that Storm had been by herself for almost a year when she wasn't even in high school. How long had she gone without going to school? There was so many questions about Storm's past.

Her past that seemed to be clouded in mystery to the point she didn't even know about it. It was hard to believe that the girl capable of extreme hostility and aggression has amnesia. That she didn't remember anything from her childhood. "Are you coming to the house?" I asked and Storm shook her head.

"I'd love to, but I have to keep an eye on Diana to make sure her and my mom don't try to rip each other's throats out." Storm explained and I nodded. "Thanks for the recipe, Diana is a bitch when it comes to food." Storm said turning to Araya with a smile on her face.