"And?"

Christ, she knew how to push me. And she was pushing me into unsafe territory. Who knew where this would end up now. I hesitated for a moment. "And I should have returned your message today."

"Yes, you should have."

I sensed her anger returning and felt the need to douse it before it ignited completely. "Jillian, I shouldn't have slept with you last night when you were drunk. I took advantage and that wasn't fair to you."

The anger that I'd tried to douse, flared at my words

The anger that I'd tried to douse, flared at my words. "Oh, for fuck's sake! You didn't take advantage; I wanted that as much as you did. So don't try and get out of this mess by making some bullshit apology."

Her anger fed mine. "It wasn't a bullshit apology," I snapped

"Why didn't you return my message?"

She asked the one question I didn't want to answer, and my skin crawled with unease. "I was busy."

She threw her hands up and wildly shook her head. "Now, that's bullshit and you know it."

"What are you trying to get me to say here, Jillian? I thundered, "Because I sure as fuck don't think we should be going down this path. Why can't we just leave it where it is and move on?"

Her silence filled the room and she stared at me. "You're right. We fucked and got it out of our system. Let's just move on from that and not look back."

I watched her closely; she wasn't buying what she was saying, but I'd wanted the words she said, so I ran with them. "Good. Agreed."

"Good," she huffed.

Having sorted that, I had the overwhelming desire to escape the tension that was crowding us. "I'll see you around," I muttered, and headed in the direction of her front door. She didn't say anything, but I didn't want her to. I just needed to get the fuck out of here before either of us said something that would send walls we'd built up crashing down around us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jillian

"He said what?" Jen exclaimed, clearly flabbergasted.