Case File: First Appearance #30

Arlow Tsai had experienced some "nice" days in the medical center. The mineral drink they prepared for him smelled a bit like a shower, but was curing the dizziness. He was also getting used to the manufactured milk when mixed with the minerals (only an occasional diluted ethanol sip to clear the taste buds).

The Wroug woman had gotten further instructions from Wroug Security. "Try to determine the kind of emotional states that the Lan clearly comprehend and perform a nerve conduction test on the copy to see their responses."

A nerve conduction test involves running a current through nerves. An abrupt shock that is only lightly painful; and then a sequence of others increasingly intense. In most places, a test like that done in one area and they give time to recover before moving to the next area. On Wroug, it is just performed all at once.

The displays were showing only nerve responses, not the emotional state.

Several lightning-ish arcs danced over Arl, completing the test in less than 30 seconds. It left Arl quite shaky.

The Wroug woman knew of two responses to this testing: Visibly emotional or silent suffering. Arl was lining up to be a silent type. The Lans seemed unaware.

Arl held up a shaky hand, and the elLans came at once.

The Wroug woman settled on this description. "Child like reactions (like an extended shaky hand), that are common to bipeds, are understood by the Lans. Things more adult or socially limited do not get a reaction (unless there is some explicit statement or external data)."

Having the answer cleared her head. What was she doing? Those tests clearly hurt!

Arl looks towards the Wroug woman and says, "You are looking down today. Is everything {bump over] with you?"

The Wroug woman leaves the room at once and finds a dark wall further out.

Arl asks the Lans: "Oh I am sorry, please tell her that I did not intend to upset her."

elLan "1" goes out to the Wroug woman and tells her that aliens can say upsetting things. often it is just better to let the words pass over. Not to think so immediately on the words. Let the things that aliens say come back days later, to be considered after time. She then relates a common learning story in the galaxy, about someone both wise and innocent that can solve a sticky problem.

After the elLan "1" returns to Arl; the Wroug woman thinks that she has been wise to obey Wroug security, but certainly not innocent.

The Last Search For Arlow Tsai In The MultiverseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara