Part 25

When Emma got back to Andrei's house, she slipped in quietly and sheepishly laid his keys on the table. He was in the kitchen, presumably waiting for her to get home. He didn't look mad, but there was a concerned wrinkle between his brows.

"Emma, are you okay? Why'd you leave while I was asleep? Where'd you go all dressed up like that?" She twisted her hair in her hands, knotting up her ponytail.

"I went somewhere that every lost soul should go. I went and prayed for salvation at the church. Unfortunately, I've found none. But, I did run into Marisol. She saw your car parked outside the church and thought it would be you in there." Andrei's eyebrows went up.

"Marisol? What'd you say to her?" Emma sat down at the kitchen table across from Andrei.

"That doesn't matter as much as what she said to me. Andrei, she claims to know something about my father's death! She said that Tony told her that his dad was having an affair, and that's the reason that Pop died. But that makes no sense to me!" Andrei just looked more confused.

"Did she elaborate? That just sounds like hearsay bullshit to me." Emma shook her head.

"She refused to elaborate unless I went with her. I wasn't going to go anywhere with Marisol after what she did, betraying us like that. I didn't know what she'd have planned. Maybe try to use me as a bargaining chip to get to you. Oh God, am I just being paranoid, Andrei?" The insecurity that Emma was feeling threatened her with tears again. Andrei reached over and grasped her hand in both of his.

"No, Baby. It's not paranoia if someone's actually out to get you. Besides, this life makes you feel uneasy. It's an unstable, unsustainable way to live." Emma looked deep into his eyes.

"Why don't you try to get out then?" He shook his head.

"I wish it were that simple, Emma. The fact is, it's inescapable." Emma shook her head, furiously.

"No. I refuse to believe that. I took a Sociology class last semester. Gangs, like cults, or any other organization that wants your compliance, brainwash people into thinking that it's inescapable." Andrei looked down, running his fingers through his hair.

"It's different. I've seen the bodies, Emma. It's horrible what they do to you if you try to leave. Besides, where would we go? I can't think of any place in the country that doesn't have a Leónes chapter." Emma was unconvinced.

"You really think that they'd follow you out of the state? Please, Andrei. It's not like you're high up in the ranks." Andrei shook his head.

"It doesn't matter. I wouldn't want the fear. I'd be afraid every day of our lives that they'd find me. Do you want to live with that fear?" Emma shook her head.

"No, of course not! But there has to be a way. There are people that escaped this life before; I'm sure of it!" Andrei looked uncertain.

"Unless we could leave, and I mean the state or even the country, it'd be too dangerous. Hey, if you'd like to get a job and try to save up some money as a little nest egg for us, be my guest. We might have enough to escape by the time the baby arrives if you don't want to get an abortion. Again, it's up to you." Emma remembered the words of wisdom that the priest spoke to her. Why compound another's sin by sinning yourself? All life is sacred. She wasn't sure if that was true anymore. Her life certainly didn't feel sacred anymore.

The trepidation Emma experienced when she walked into the clinic felt like a rock in her stomach. She had no idea what to expect, but she was afraid. Andrei had offered to come in with her, but Emma didn't want him to. It was something that she wanted to do on her own; she didn't want anyone influencing any decision she'd make.