thirty-five: don't break my heart

Začít od začátku

His midnight eyes are severe, honed on mine from across the room. So black they resemble the pits of hell. It's where I've found myself.

"Ellie?" Marsha asks over the line.

Lindsay presses her gun further into my temple. "Hang up the damn phone. Now."

"Marsh, I'm gonna have to call you back."

My hands shake as I disconnect and Lindsay snatches the phone. Gripping my neck, she tugs me into the room, releasing the door. It shuts with a harsh thump, making me jump. My nerves pulse through me like electrical wires and it takes all my concentration to keep my legs functioning.

Each breath feels like my last as I'm guided to the bed and thrusted so I'm seated. Lindsay's gun follows me down, never breaking its connection as she towers over me.

Calvin watches from feet away, a leer stretched across his lips. And then silence. Unnerving, ear-splitting silence.

My pulse pounds, my limbs tremble, my death flashes across my eyes. It's on repeat, again and again. My blood on the scratchy comforter, my insides splattered across the tacky wood surfaces, my lifeless body contorted in unnatural angles on the carpet.

Why is this happening?

My breathing picks up pace and my vision blinks in an out. The hyperventilating starts and there's no way a Kleenex will fix any of this mess I've found myself in.

Calvin adjusts his suit, lifting his left sleeve to check the time on his platinum Rolex. "I'm running low on time, so let's make this quick. Where's Seth, Ellie?"

"He's indisposed at the moment." My voice shakes, revealing my trepidation, but despite the situation, I refuse to divulge Seth's whereabouts. "How do you know my name?"

He's quiet, his expression unreadable. "I have eyes and ears everywhere, especially with a certain blonde I've been fortunate to get to know."

It's impossible to miss the amusement in his voice and it ignites the wrath inside me, as well as the instinct to protect.

My lips sneer, my brows dip. "Don't you touch her."

"Too late. But not to worry, she enjoyed herself."

"You scumbag." Self-preservation dissipates as I heave myself from the bed, eager to wrap my hands around Calvin's neck. I make it an inch before Lindsay's grip on my neck tightens and I'm shoved back against the comforter.

"That tongue. I see why Seth's taken a liking to you." He nods, malicious delight shining from his eyes. "I thought Seth would come crawling back to me himself, but it appears you've become quite the distraction. But now we have a problem. This rendezvous you two have been enjoying needs to end. I need him back."

"Not a chance."

His features turn to steel, the amusement dropping from his eyes. "Seth's mine."

"Actually, he's mine." Has been since he walked through my door and entered my life. I just hadn't known it then –hadn't predicted how immensely we'd root ourselves in the other and change because of it–but I do now.

Calvin's nostrils flare. "I created that man."

"You broke him," I clarify, momentarily reliving every confidential moment Seth and I have shared as we collaboratively tried to repair the damage. "And I've been doing my best to piece him back together after what you did."

Calvin laughs–actually laughs. It makes me want to heave myself from the bed again and gauge his eyes out. "Your loyalty to him is impressive. I could use someone like you."