Chapter Six

The next hour went by in a blur of drinking and dancing. I was getting very self conscious about sweating but luckily every one was looking a little sweaty from all the dancing they were doing. 

I stopped off at the bathroom a couple of times to cool myself down with a splash of cold water and sprayed on some more deodorant but other than that, Lance hadn't left my side the whole time. I wasn't quite sure whether he was doing it because he wanted to or because he felt sorry for me being left alone while Joey swanned off with Jake. 

Jake handed me another drink and I looked at it in horror as I took it from him, trying not to let him see the look on my face. My stomach had started to hurt after the second drink and now I was starting to feel sick, drinking on an empty stomach really wasn't such a good idea. 

I eyed the snacks that were scattered through out the room. Should I eat? Or was it best to keep my stomach empty now? I really wasn't sure, I'm not used to drinking. 

Lance caught me eyeing up the food and smiled. 

"Come on, let's eat." He said, grabbing my hand and pulling me forward. He tossed me a bag of crisps before reaching for some cold slices of pizza before motioning for me to follow him. 

We headed through the Kitchen and out the back door. The garden was quiet, there was a slither of light by the door from the Kitchen window but other than that the only light source we had was the moon so it was near enough pitch black outside. 

"What are we doing out here?" I asked as Lance slowly took a few steps forward on to the grass before sitting down. 

"Cooling down." He said before reaching for my hand (once again) and yanked me down beside him. 

"Ow!" I said, even though it hadn't really hurt. "I'm a girl you know, you could try to be a little more gentle." 

"Sorry." He said, casting a worried glance towards my arm. 

"It's ok." I grinned, giving his shoulder a small nudge. 

He handed me a paper plate with the slices of pizza on it. I placed it in my lap and stared at it. I shouldn't eat it, but the acidic feeling in my stomach told me I needed something more solid inside me. 

"It's not going to bite you y'know." Lances voice cut through my thoughts. "You're supposed to bite it." 

I forced a smile, laughing nervously as I picked up a slice of Hawaiian and took a small bite. Just chewing on the sweetness made me feel sick but I swallowed it down anyway and washed the taste away with a sip of my drink. 

Suddenly the urge to be sick was overwhelming and I knew I couldn't keep it in. 

"I'm gonna-" Lance hauled me up and pulled me over to the side of the garden as I heaved, lifting my hair out of my face once we had stopped. 

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand once I was done, my cheeks flaming with embarrassment. Great, the one time I get to talk to a cute guy and I have to go and puke in front of him, good going Sarah.  

"Ugh, I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed, bowing my head in shame. 

"Hey, it's fine." He said gently, lifting my chin with his finger; he gave me a reassuring smile. His kind brown eyes searching mine. "Let's go back inside." 

He grabbed a cup from the Kitchen before leading me to the bathroom and telling me to sit on the toilet seat after he pulled the lid down. He made his way over to the sink, searching for something in the small cabinet above it. 

"Aha!" He said as he reached inside and pulled out a bottle of mouthwash. He poured a little in to the cup and held it out to me. I took it from him gratefully and swished the blue liquid around my mouth before spitting it out. 

"Feeling better?" Lance asked. 

"Much" I replied with a small smile. "I should probably go find Joey now though and head home" 

"Ok" He nodded, "I'll help you look." 

The two of us went in search of my best friend, chatting along the way. I still couldn't believe he'd hung out with me the whole night! 

My eyes widened in shock when we found Joey at the table 'smoking' with a bunch of other people. My heart started to pound, she really shouldn't be doing that. Why hadn't I kept a closer eye on her? What if something bad had happened to her? It would be all my fault. 

"Joey? What are you doing?!" I asked, trying to snatch the joint from her hand. She quickly moved it out of my reach. 

"Oh lighten up! I'm just having some fun." She grinned at me. 

"We're going home now." I told her. I felt hot, everyone at the table was looking at me and I realised I was once again the boring fat girl. But right now, I couldn't care less. 

"It's only ten!" She rolled her eyes at me. 

"I said now!" I put on my best 'parent-telling-their-child-off-voice' and gave her a warning look, which somehow worked because then next thing she did was hand one of the guys at the table the joint and reluctantly stood up from her chair. 

I motioned towards the door with one arm and followed behind her as she headed towards it. 

"Hey, I'll walk you guys home." Lance's voice said in to my ear as he leaned over from behind me. 

"Oh, no it's ok." I told him. 

"I never said I was giving you an option." He winked at me, "You've both been drinking and - well I have no idea what she's been doing. I can't let you walk home by yourselves." 

"You were drinking too." I pointed out.

"I only had two beers, come on." He grinned at me as he lead the way to the front of the house and my heart did a little flutter in my chest. Oh boy.