* * *

Ravena raced across the storm shrouded landscape. Her feet pounded and stuck in the mud and she pulled them free with each frantic step. She watched her prey head straight towards a massive Rashaka. She cursed, it would do her no good if her slave took her kill from her. She picked up the pace. She knew she was risking losing her balance or slipping in the mud but she sped up anyway.

Her heart pounded in her chest and competed with the ringing in her ears. She thought that the ringing was slowly subsiding but she didn't have time to worry too much about it. Rain and wind combined against her and she ran through them. Her breaths became faster as she sucked in air to keep herself moving.

The shaking image of her kill became closer and closer. She raised the black rod over her head as she approached her oblivious prey. The rod went cold in her hand as the presence of the one she would strike down drew near.

She was almost to him. Air and rain filled her nose and mouth and lungs. She didn't blink despite the rain droplets stinging her eyes. Her muddy hair flew out behind her. Fierce anticipation gathered in her chest and throat. Three more steps!

Her heart beat rapidly in her ears as she took the third to the last step. Her eyes were wide and bright with the prospective pleasure. This! This was what this world was! She had been right all along! She had been a fool to doubt herself. Power was all there was in the world! Power was the only thing worth anything!

Now, as she raised the black rod in her hand she was about to exercise absolute power. She would be the ruler of a life. She would be the judge of whether he lived or died and the executioner of her own judgement.

Who else wielded such power? How many others held the life of a human being in their hands? How many others had tasted of absolute subjugation?

At this moment she was a goddess to this man. She was hid goddess and the man, the boy, didn't even know it! He didn't even know who his ruler was? He didn't know who was in control. It didn't matter. She knew. She held the power. She held his life.

Her mouth stretched into a ruthless grin. She brought the rod forward. This was it! This was the final moment! This was the triumph of her will! She opened her mouth and her white teach glittered with saliva and rainwater. With a small cry she stabbed the rod down,

"Power and weakness!"

* * *

Ashur crouched just behind the monstrous Rashaka. It still hadn't noticed him. If it did all it would take was a quick turn to bring him down. He took a breath. The moment wasn't right yet. He watched the dark creature move as rain poured down his body. Not yet. Not yet.

He began to grow frustrated with himself. He was right here. The monster was just a couple steps away! He had to act! He kept his right hand on the hilt of his dagger, but his dagger remained sheathed. It wasn't right. His instincts told him it wasn't right. Not yet.

He tried to relax his mind and muscles as he waited for the moment. Yet, calmness would not come. He was tense and agitated. He was confused at his own lack of resolve. The monster was right in front of him! the beast could sense his presence at any moment! He had to move! He leaned slightly forward and worked his leg muscles to take a step. But a feeling stopped him. A deep basic feeling told him to wait. Not yet. Not yet.

He glared at the back of the Rashaka. The creature of pure evil. The creature that he wanted to destroy. The creature that he needed to destroy. The symbol and cause of the total upheaval of his life. The taker of his sister. The breaker of his family. A killer of men. He had let his hate run cold in his veins but just standing there was heating it up again. He could feel himself slipping. Slipping from rational action. He was going to kill this creature. Whether the right moment came or not. To stand this close and do nothing was inconceivable. This evil had to be destroyed and he was in the position to do it.