Cassandra kept backing away from the dark being moving towards her,

"No! Don't show me anything! I don't want to see!"

Cassandra, sweet Cassandra.

Suddenly the blue fire vanished. Cassandra watched in horror as she was suddenly plunged into absolute darkness. She looked at where she thought she had seen Semildinatch last and began backing away. Then she remembered the cythraul. Terrified she looked over her shoulder but she might as well of had her eyes closed.

I may not have been entirely truthful with you, Cassandra.

The voice slid across the surface of her mind. She could not hear it so she had no idea where it was coming from. She stared out into the blackness. Then she felt cold fingers slide down her spine and seize her insides.

Cassandra, sweet Cassandra.

* * *

Abdiel sat in the ship's cabin. He had slowed his breathing and closed his eyes. His right hand adjusted the bag in his lap. There was a slight tinkling of silver as he moved it closer to his stomach. He had learned this technique from the strange creatures from across the endless sands. His eyes were closed and his other senses were brought into sharp focus.

He heard the wind rippling against the dropped sail of the boat. He heard the waves lapping up against the side as the Drusilla slowly rocked back and forth. He heard the sounds of the night and the faint sounds of Port Silver. His relaxed mind jumped from one sound to the next, isolating it and naming it.

The master who had taught him had told him the legend of one of his kind who had blindfolded himself for an entire year to focus his other senses. In the end the warrior removed the blindfold to discover that he had gone blind, but he had so thoroughly trained himself that for the rest of his life he defeated every foe he faced. The legendary warrior said that he had lost one sense and gained four while his opponents still had but one of five senses to rely on. Abdiel smiled at the strange tale, the Hydran were a strange breed.

Then he heard it. He heard a rippling sound in the water. He heard the dipping of paddles into the ocean. It was a rowboat. It was a rowboat coming towards him. Abdiel opened his eyes and began clearing his head.

He heard the boat stop as it pulled up right alongside his boat. There was silence for a moment. The Rashakas were boarding; demonic creatures never made a sound. Then he heard a soft bumping against the side of his boat. Jack Linch. Jack Linch was being carried onboard by one of the creatures.

Abdiel stared ahead and emptied his mind of worries and concerns. He heard the clomping of Jack's feet as he stalked towards the door of the cabin. He felt a sudden flash of heat and heard the roaring sound of the door being blown to cinders.

Then the first Rashaka came down the stairs. It was in its human guise. It sported the uniform of the king's soldiers and glided silently to stand against the wall. The other two Rashakas followed after. Green yellow eyes shimmered in the dim light. They watched him hungrily. The first one down began to drool as it watched him and waited for its master.

Abdiel kept all three of the creatures in his vision but did not look directly at any of them. They stood at attention against the wall. It must be driving whatever's left of their minds crazy just standing there staring at a meal like that, thought Abdiel. Then he quickly cleared his mind once again.

The clomping sound of Jack Linch descending the stairs was in sharp contrast to the silent monsters that had preceded him. He strode down into the room like a conquering warlord. His head was held high and his eyes locked on Abdiel immediately. For a moment he looked almost emotional. Then a slow smile spread across his face like death approaching. His eyes flickered with a malevolent red light.