She jerked away from the outstretched hand and crawled several feet away. The lighted part of Semildinatch's face twisted in annoyance.

Come now, Cassandra. You saw what will happen to your father.

On cue Cass had the vision of her father flash before her eyes once again. She saw Jack Linch's hateful grin. She saw her father disappear into roaring red flames.

Do you not wish to save him? Your own father?

She wiped her eyes and watched the vision replay in her mind. He was right. She couldn't just let her father die. Not when there was the slightest hope that she could save him. She forced herself to remain where she was as Semildinatch began approaching her once more. Fear gripped her senses and coursed along her bones and spine. She began shaking once again. She gritted her teeth and forced herself to fight every instinct she had, as the shadow grew closer.

He crouched down once more and began stretching for his hand. His shadowy hand untouched by the light of the fire. Why didn't the light touch anything but the one half of his face? She shook and trembled as the hand drew closer. Beads of sweat ran down her back and she jerked away again. She sprinted to the other side of the fire. Then she collapsed on the ground breathing heavily. What was wrong with her? Why was she so terrified?

Cassandra, sweet little Cassandra, I told you time was different here. Your father may not have much time left. Let me help you. Let me help you save him.

The voice was soft and oily but there was an edge to it as well. She saw her father in a room surrounded by Rashakas. She saw Jack Linch and his triumphal maniacal grin. She saw the fire, the all consuming red fire. Another tear slid down her cheek and the shadow of Semildinatch appeared before her.

She trembled violently as the shadow bent over her and crouched down once again. She pulled away as the hand extended but this time she was shaking so badly that she stumbled as she tried to run away. He sat on the ground and watched Semildinatch approach her with wide eyes. She was still shaking, she seemed unable to control her arms and legs. This wasn't right. This wasn't good.

Why so afraid Cassandra? Don't you trust me?

"No!" Cassandra suddenly cried out. All at once she regained control of her limbs and she ran to the other side of the blue flames. "Don't come near me!"

But your father? What will become of your father?

The vision of her father disappearing in flames flashed before her eyes again. "Stop it!" she cried closing her eyes. Amazingly, the vision went away. She blinked in surprise. Then she saw the shadowy presence approaching once more.

That was very well done, Cassandra. Soon you will be able to control all your visions like that with just a simple thought.

"You stay away!"

Why so scared? I thought we had cultivated an understanding, came the silky voice in her head as Semildinatch stepped closer.

"I don't want your help anymore!" cried Cass backing away.

You can't mean that, Cassandra, sweet Cassandra. You saw for yourself what will happen to your father if I don't intervene. Surely you don't wish to lose him?

The vision of her father and the red flames danced before her mockingly. She shut her eyes and, with an effort, the images vanished once again,

"Don't! Don't do that again!"

I only want you to understand. Would you allow a little fear rob you of your family? Perhaps you should see what will happen to you brother as well.