Chapter IV: The Bandits

Start from the beginning

I just kicked a mirror.

A fucking mirror!

I sucked in a quick breath, and jerked my head to the door. My jaw almost hit the ground.

The knocking stopped. The doorknob was broken.

And now Mr. Reynolds's silhouette was framing the doorway.

Now, I was officially screwed.

Dolf and Randal appeared behind him and I gulped.

"H-hi Boss...." I croaked.

His eyes narrowed, and he gave me the slightest smirk.

"Good evening, Jace."

"For the last time, mom! I've been careful! Where's dad?" I cried out into the phone. God, she overreacts way too much! Someone definitely needs to take a couple chill pills and a nap...

My mother's voice was soft and sweet, even over the phone. "Your father is...out. He's dealing with business..."

She sounded sad. Sorrowful, maybe? Why wasn't she with him? Didn't they constantly fight about doing missions together?

Oh well.

Hell if I know...

I tapped my foot, waiting for my mother to finish her rambling on about my father. She made him seem like a hero! 'Yeah, so was Odysseus, and yet he still slept with multiple women and sacrificed innocent men!'

My mind had a point.

You see, I wasn't too thrilled about the tact of murdering people. I mean, we all eventually died anyway...why murder someone before his time? I didn't get people sometimes. Especially my father. He was always away on 'business', and couldn't even visit for holidays.

Self-absorbed jerk.

All he did was become a hitman! You can take a break from murdering people over the holidays, can't you? Goddamn!

"Honey? Beatrice darling?"

Oh crap. I got caught up in the moment again. Do I do that often?

"Yeah, mom?"

"Happy birthday." she whispered softly.

"Wha-?"

It was my birthday?

I yanked out my iPod from my messenger bag and checked the date. My mother was right...it was my nineteenth birthday. December fourth. I gaped at the device. Not only my dad was missing my birthday, but mom too? I just...I couldn't take it.

"Mom?" I croaked out softly.

"Yes dear?"

"I...I gotta go."

"Oh...well, we'll see you soon."

I growled. Liar. "You mean YOU'll see me soon. Dad never comes home. Ever."

Okay, so I exaggerated. Sue me.

"That's not true! He came home-"

I cut her off quickly. "A year ago today. Just for my birthday. Not even for Christmas..."

I'm not sure, but I think we both sniffled at the same time. My eyes were glossy, and I could tell the phone call needed to end.

"Oh Bea..."

"Bye mom."

"Wh-what?"

"I said goodbye. It...it was nice...talking to you..."

"You too, Hun."

And then the line went dead. I gently placed the phone on the receiver, and gathered my things. I had been on the phone for two hours, and now I was technically having my free period. I rose slowly, and exited the door without another word.

I only got halfway down the hall when I ran into a very surprised and worried Vince.

Concern seeped into his look, and he stared at me. Oddly, I stared right back, and felt a silent tear slide down my cheek. Vincent's face, staring down at mine, fell slightly, and was filled with...longing? No, I must've been seeing things...

Suddenly, he pulled me close to him, my face pressed slightly into his hardened chest. His strong arms engulfed my frail form, and I collapsed into him. Tears formed and fell, but we just held each other close. Slowly, he pressed his face into my hair, and my breathing eased up. A staggered breath left my mouth, and I clung to Vince as if he was the last person on earth.

My father was a horrible person. I'd hated his guts my entire life. Why? He was so rich and famous, he thought he could just go off and leave whenever he wanted to, and not give two cents about what his family thought. He was just like Odysseus, and my mother resembled Penelope - the kind and caring wife who lives and breathes for her husband, no matter what. Well you know what? I don't care. I don't care if he misses every single holiday from here on out!

But if I don't care, how can he hurt me so?

My thoughts eased to a blank when I felt Vince's hand brush against my lower back. My skin flushed, and I jolted backwards, stumbling awkwardly out of his arms.

Looking slightly hurt, Vince sighed. Did we just have...a moment? No...

I chuckled nervously. "Uh...thanks."

"No problem." he replied huskily, making my skin crawl. He wouldn't look at me.

Grunting slightly and swaying back and forth on my heels, I looked off into the distance. When I turned back, he looked me over questioningly.

"Yes?" he asked.

"Uh...I'm...I'm gonna go home. D-don't feel very..." I trailed off. He just nodded, waiting for the rest. I didn't respond, I just stared down at my feet.

Then, in one stride, I buried myself in his embrace. My face pressed to his heart, I felt safe. Warm. Accepted. His arms engulfed me once more, and I sighed. After a moment, I felt his lips press onto the top of my head, and I could feel the frantic beating of my heart as it raced.

Grunting, I backed away, and saluted to him before walking to my car in the lot.

"A tout a l'heure, mon ami..." I heard his whisper whip through the wind as I settled into my car.

----

SOOOOOOO??

What do you think?!

Anyways, just wanted to get a post in today! Happy Holidays, everyone!

Comment and vote? Pweez?

What do you think of Jace? O.o