Chapter IV: The Bandits

It was uncannily and increasingly darker outside than it had been less than an hour ago. The sun was showing off it's last silver sliver of light until it had to disappear into the unknown. The moon was already out, and the stillness of the night was eerie in the old barnyard shed. This was where they were to take refuge until further, more depressing orders were given from the Boss. No one ever disobeyed them, though they just kept getting more dangerous over time. More risky, more people's lives in danger. Especially so with the latest project.

Project: The Danger Game.

Objective? Survive the island's traps and hunters. Nine groups of five people would be placed on the island to survive. Survival of the fittest, I guess. Each group would need to try and survive until all the others got...well, caught. The winners would be set free. The Boss got the idea from a book he'd read. It was supposed to give those 'bad people' a second chance. But really? Weren't we all bad inside? Though, none if us knew what ever exactly happened on that island. We weren't allowed to visit. Why?

Because the hunters and inhabitants were cannibals.

Not only cannibals, but vampires.

But this was a new breed of vampire, or so the Boss's file said. These inhabitants were 'people' by day, and kept to themselves. Not that the sunlight killed them or anything, but it was just difficult to hunt in. The prey's senses were numb from the 'safety' of the sun, making it no fun for the hunters to catch them during the daytime. But, at night, the prey's senses seemed to...be more alert. They were always on the edge of disdain and fear, ready to turn on the ones they could trust. Funny, how when you can't see anything, you start acting like someone else; turning on the ones you love, when it could cost your life in the end.

So, vampires existed. Were they sparkly, dangerously handsome, and weakened by crosses and garlic? Hell no. Was the sun bad for them? You could say that. Instead of bursting into flames, or turning into some demonic flamboyant thing, vampires started to spontaneously bleed from the nose and eyes after being exposed to too many ultraviolet rays. It was kinda funny when you watched it happen to one too; they run around and try to frantically find a tree to hide under. So really, this was the only tell-tale sign of a vampire other than morphing into exotic creatures after dusk. They weren't strangely beautiful until the sun set. So...yeah.

Have I ever met a vampire? Nope. I only know so much about the damned things since I've been given a file on the head leader - Vladimir Willowshire.

I was actually in the middle of grabbing that file from my bag when I heard the doorknob rattle. I had locked it on my way in, because the Boss and two of the other members had keys to this shed. Thank god for my good reasoning. Shuffling into a small crevice near a blackened corner, I observed my surroundings and watched the windows of the barn-like shed. The rattling continued as I looked around.

On the shelves were old books and bird feed, dust layering a good part of each one. I sighed, looking around quickly. I'd need to find something soon, and extremely soon, if I was to protect myself. Then, I saw it- there was a pair of yard clippers just hanging innocently on the right wall; so old and used that the blades were rusted, and dust coated it thickly. I took a deep breath, and turned to get my phone out of my pocket.

Before I even had it out, it vibrated, and lit up my face. I groaned out at the stinging sensation occurring in my pupils, and balled up my fists. Finally, after blinking a couple times and slowing my heart down, I could see.

And I saw a person staring back at me.

Jumping and hitting my head on the desk I was under, I cried out pathetically. My hands searched for a weapon, any weapon, that could help me in this situation. My legs thrashed and kicked so I could get away and find one, but then I heard the shattering of glass. Slowly and cautiously, I turned around.