Hashirama studies his brother's expression. It seems like Tobirama really is determined to make him stay because otherwise, he wouldn't bring it up again and again.

After thinking about it for a while, he decides to reconsider. "Fine," he sighs, "I'll stay here and you can go."

Tobirama's frown vanishes.

"I'll inform the Mizukage that I sent you in my stead," Hashirama says. He dips his quill on the ink and begins to write on a blank scroll.

"Thank you, anija."

Hashirama smiles at him, glad that his brother is now at ease. "So I suppose Hikaku-san is not joining you anymore?"

Tobirama responds immediately, "Nope, I'll bring Fukuda-san instead. I'll go tell Hikaku about the changes."

Hashirama nods. "Anyways, about the investigation, are there any news from the shinobi we sent?" he asks, hoping to hear some progress.

A month ago, Ashina, the head of the Uzumaki clan and Mito's father, told them that certain villages are planning to start a war against Konoha. It's best to be prepared, but Tobirama insisted that they should gather more information about it first; obtain some concrete evidences before they disclose the pressing issue to the other clan heads. Not that they didn't trust Ashina; the man has a good track record. However, this is war they are talking about. They can't afford to be misinformed.

"Nothing significant so far," Tobirama reports. "But I think it's time we tell the other clan heads, give them a heads-up at least."

Hashirama pauses writing. He purses his lips and thinks about it for a few moments. "Yes. Let's have a meeting with them when you get back. For the meantime, let's still wait for some intel," he says.

It will be a great relief if the news from Ashina turns out to be incorrect. However, it's also suspicious that they still don't have any evidences even after weeks of investigation. But anticipating the worst case scenario—if there really will be war—he and Tobirama are currently working on having alliances, hence his acceptance of the invitation from Kirigakure.

In any case, Hashirama reckons that an attack is less likely to happen now that winter is approaching. He knows enough about wars to consider that.

-----

"How's teaching at the Academy, Mito-san? I hope the children are behaving accordingly," Hashirama says as they are having dinner.

Mito had volunteered to teach basic fuinjutsu at the Academy. Although Tobirama only shrugged when Hashirama asked him, the older is pretty sure that his brother has something to do with it. Hashirama couldn't be more glad and therefore, he readily agreed.

Mito smiles. "It's going well, Hashirama-sama. The children are curious and attentive. I really enjoy teaching them," she answers.

"They are surprisingly behaved when she's around," adds Tobirama. Beside him, Mito chuckles slightly.

"Oh, is that so?" Hashirama muses, "That's nice! Thank you for volunteering, Mito-san."

"I'm glad I could help, Hashirama-sama. You also have my thanks for allowing me."

They ate their dinner while having small conversations, though Mito and Tobirama were mostly the two talking. Hashirama supposed it's only natural because they spend most of the day together—teaching in the Academy in the morning, helping in the Hokage's office in the first hours of the afternoon, and spending the rest of the afternoon in Tobirama's lab.

If anything, Hashirama is quite amazed that his brother is talking more. Tobirama has never been this lively even around him. He smiles silently.

Tobirama offers to make tea now that they finished their meal. He goes to the kitchen, leaving Hashirama and Mito in the dining area.

Hashirama fidgets in his seat. It's not that being alone with Mito makes him uneasy—they had spend some time with just the two of them before and they get along quite nicely. However, the topic he's about to bring up might make her uncomfortable.

"Mito-san?" he begins cautiously.

Mito perks up. "Yes?"

"I've been meaning to ask you about what we talked about last time..." He says but pauses midway, careful for his next words.

She nods however, picking up what Hashirama is talking about. A few seconds pass before she answers, "I'm willing to do anything for my clan and my village, Hashirama-sama."

Hashirama's brows furrow. Mito said it with conviction yet somehow, her eyes convey otherwise.

"I understand you, Mito-san," he says, expressing his sincerity in his eyes, "but if there's any way that you're against this marriage, you can tell me anytime."

Mito seems taken aback. Something is still bothering her, Hashirama could tell, but he is somehow relieved as a small smile makes its way to her lips.

They both almost jump from their seats when Tobirama comes back from the kitchen, holding a tray with three cups of tea in his hands. "We ran out of honey," he mutters as he puts the tray down on the table.

Hashirama nods absentmindedly, his mind flying far away.

-----

That night, he decided to take a short walk around the village, hoping he would get some sleep once he tires out.

He walked past the Academy, then the Hokage Tower, then several houses before he ended up on a familiar trail. He glanced up at the Hokage Rock. The sculpture of his face has been completed. He winces. It's a little unsettling even for him how it looks way more serious than what he thinks he actually looks like in the flesh. But looking back to what it represents—what it means for the people of the village—it motivates him all the same.

Before he knows it, he's already standing at the cliff. The village looks so small from up here; the houses appear like mere boxes of different colors. Smoke rises through the chimneys of the houses, the heat generated warming up the people living in them.

"It's beautiful, Madara. Our village is beautiful," he whispers then defeatedly shakes his head—a possible war and an arranged marriage ahead, yet here he is, still thinking about Madara.

Deep inside, he's still longing for him. He doesn't know if he'll get over with that, ever.

Madara left him and their village but Hashirama will do anything to protect it and the people living in it and to do that, he needs allies.

Since time, marriage between clans has been one of the most effective way to establish an alliance. Even his parents were a product of an arranged marriage and their relationship turned out well. They learned to love each other as years go by, Hashirama remembers his mother has told him when he's still a kid.

However, he's concerned about Mito. He still doesn't know how she really feels about the marriage, and he isn't sure about how he himself feels about it either. Even though he's still on the process of getting to know Mito, he knows that she truly is selfless, to the point where she's willing to sacrifice her own happiness for the sake of her village.

Yes, he needs allies to protect Konoha, but he can't bear to make Mito miserable for the rest of their lives. She doesn't deserve that and he can't make her happy, not with this marriage.

-End of Chapter 11-

Fukuda is an OC and nope, I didn't forget about the arranged marriage and the war *lowkey (but not really) writing all about it in one chapter* oops

Anyways, stay safe, everyone :)

-Cee