"There's always videos online. I get the idea."

"It's not the same."

They continued down the dark streets, illuminated by the soft glow from the streetlights, Kade's mother clung to his arm. Her anxiety was spiked and she didn't feel comfortable being out at night.

While crossing a street, they heard a commotion in a back alley that sounded like a woman screaming. She was crying for help and fighting off her attacker. Kade continued walking, paying her no mind.

"Kaden, you must help that poor woman."

"It's best not to get involved, ma," he said, not breaking stride.

"That is someone's sister, or mother. You must help her."

"We live it a different world now, ma. If I help her, I might get jumped, stabbed, or shot. Is that what you want?"

"Of course not, but we can't turn a blind eye," his mother said, stopping dead in her tracks.

"Ma, what are you doing? It's most likely a trap. People out here are hustlers. They trick you into thinking there's danger, and when you go to help, five guys will surround you and rob you. Trust me, it's best not to get involved."

"I didn't raise you to be a coward. Now either you go help her, or I will."

Kade looked at his mother and realized she wasn't budging until he did something. Too often people, including Kade, would turn a blind eye to these sorts of situations, which were a regular occurrence. Rapes, murders, muggings, anyone in distress were left to their own devices. The problems were easier to ignore than to acknowledge. It was common for people to step over a dead body like a piece of discarded trash and carry on with their day without giving second thought. It was a harsh environment and human life, aside from one's own, just wasn't seen as valuable.

Withdrawing his gun, he entered the alley, charging into the darkness. He called out to the woman, whose screams had now subsided. Her attackers had fled. Approaching the woman, Kade was still cautious, looking around for a potential ambush. Still brandishing his weapon, he asked the woman if she was okay.

The young girl, no more than fifteen years old, was slumped over and sobbing uncontrollably. She looked up at Kade, but didn't share her profile with him so he had no way of telling what she looked like or how old she was. He at least could tell that she was emotionally distraught and in need of help.

"It's okay, I won't hurt you," he said, discreetly tucking the gun into his jacket. He then extended a hand to help her up. Kade helped the poor girl to her feet and escorted her back to the main street, where Kade's mother was waiting with open arms.

"My name is Kade, what's your name?"

"My name is, Kirin," the girl said.

"It's nice to meet you, Kirin. We're here to help you. Is there somewhere you'd like to go? My mother and I can walk with you to make sure you get there safely."

"A young girl like you shouldn't be out on these streets alone," Kade's mother said. "It's not safe."

"I appreciate your help and concern, but I should go."

"Are you sure?" Kade's mother said. "Let us walk you home at least."

"No, really, I'm fine. Thank you," the girl said before darting across the street in a hurry.

"What has this world come to?" his mother said.

"People are just reverting to their animalistic tendencies. There are hunters, and there are prey."

"I don't believe that," his mother shot back. "What are you? What am I?"

"We're prey. We're just not the weakest targets yet."

"This poor girl shouldn't have been out at night. These streets aren't safe."

"It's a concrete jungle, ma," Kade said, reflecting on the situation. "Survival of the fittest out here."