Jess

5:35am

I walked to the edge of the frigid, snowy meadow and inspected my small, cold hands with their long fingers made for deft, precise movements.

I am a Fox, and like all Shifters, both my personality and my human body reflected my Shift. I am small and clever, with 16 years of book learning and experiments of all kinds, a mix of common sense and knowledge. I had a head full of thick wavy red hair. My large, observant, brown eyes saw everything.

Some mice scurried through the frozen meadow and I watched them, my quick gaze taking in every detail. They were mice, not Mice, Mice being Shifters.

Shifters could see each other because, when Shifted, they are outlined in a soft, silver glow, visible even in the noonday sun to other Shifters. There were rumors that there was a potion to hide this, but no one in our poor village could afford it.

I ran my eyes over the meadow once more, then Shifted. I inspected a blade of grass, and licked the frost off of it, satisfying my thirst. I licked another, enjoying the frigid liquid as it trickled down my throat, soothing the soreness that came from breathing such cold air.

I sniffed the wind, and, smelling nothing out of the ordinary, took off across the meadow, stopping occasionally to look around, before reaching a stream. I jumped the stream and began the hike up a decently sized hill. Upon reaching the top, I climbed up onto a stump and sat, fur blowing in the chilly morning breeze.

My village was just waking up, and I could feel their sleepy emotions. I was very sensitive to my village's emotions. Villages were bound in a special way that allowed Foxes to feel their overall atmosphere and state of mind.

There were stories that before the Great Wars, Foxes could Feel the things like the social climate of an entire city, and were therefore highly sought out by politicians, but now (as far as I know) we're pretty limited. As much as I enjoyed the analysis of Abilities and how they changed after the Great Wars, I turned my thoughts from the subject and cleared my mind, preparing for a new day of assorted hard work.