128 | S2: Knighthood

Start from the beginning

And there was the first squire who carefully made his way to the alter, making sure not to make added movements with his strict posture. He bowed his head to the current King and went down on one knee, lowering his head in the process.

"To whom kneels before me, in the name of the Original Crowns of the holy House of the Dragon and Griffin, you are blessed. You shall profess a vow, honor the oaths on your heart and uphold the code of chivalry until your last dying breath."

The young individual said his oaths aloud and his voice shook the pillars with confidence.

The first one is always meant to serve an example to the rest, the loyalty and undying promise to protect and uphold justice.

A bright and wonderful smile appeared on the current King's face and he replied back.

"Under the crescent moon, I dub thee, Sir knight." He said as he tapped the Original King's holy sword on the squire's shoulder to commence his new path.

And once that young man received his sword and pair of spurs, the rest of the men and women waiting entered one after another to be dubbed by either the Crown or the nobles. It was essential for everyone to withhold their applause until the very end of the ceremony as a matter of respect.

For Karma and I, we sat there with the current Queen to admire such a great sight.

And as for the rest of the Tempus Five who watched from the lower levels, those who walked by them never lost their face or posture. Every moment from before and after the dubbing, these men and women were to remain perfect. That is, if they wanted to be recognized or scouted by any of Tempus Five members.

"Have you've seen that friend of yours yet, Nagisa?" Karma spoke and I looked over at him. I shook my head no and slightly smiled because it sounded like he was still jealous of such matters.

Though, I was able to find Sugino in the line. He was dubbed by Duke Kuro and even managed to smile at me after he was given his gifts. Talk about laid back, I thought to myself.

The ceremony went on for two hours straight including the prayers and speeches from the members of the royal court and church. This year, there was no more than a hundred individuals that were dubbed.

"Ah, there's Kaede." I pointed out and Karma caught glimpse of her as she walked in with the other high ranking military officials. I even recognized Terasaka  standing on her left.

It is known that at the end of each dubbing ceremony, around ten high ranked knights and specialist were to appear. As the dubbed individual's soon-to-be instructors they were to introduce and congratulate the new members.

Everyone stepped outside of the cathedral, the new members lined up in rows and faced the Crowns and noble families. The members of the Tempus Five also stood with us.

The established knights and specialist who were chosen to bless the new members stood in front of all of us royals, facing the dubbed individuals. The civilians, friends, and family stood off to both left and right side with and flowers.

After the knights and specialists all introduced themselves by stating their name and profession, they bowed their heads to the crowd before them with such a powerful presence.

And it was Terasaka who delivered the final speech.

"On behalf of the members of the military, those who serve as knights, specialists, officials, royal and palace guards, we welcome you all. Mind the burden and responsibilities, for it is your duty to serve and protect the kingdom. You all may be dismissed."

Once Terasaka finalized the ceremony, the civilians cheered and the dubbed individuals were able to lighten up and join in on the joyous moment. An assortment of flowers were thrown into the air and even bubbles were blown by the children.

The current King looked over at Karma and I with a gentle smile and we noticed right away.

"How are you feeling right now? Can you describe your emotions?" The current King asked and Irina faced our way to listen.

"Overwhelmingly astound. It is truly an amazing sight." Karma replied back.

"Yes, I agree. I feel like this moment will always be engrained despite many more to come, because it is our first sight of our kingdom's glory." I added, "utterly surreal."

The current King chuckled.
"You don't know how relieved I am to hear those words from the both of you. It feels like it was just yesterday that the Crowns before me asked my wife and I such a question at our first attendance at a dubbing ceremony." The current King placed his left hand on Karma's shoulder.

"Father, it seems as time has surpassed you if you recall such a memory as if it was yesterday." Princess Irina teased him.

"Now now, your father is just reminiscing the old days, dear." The current Queen rubbed Irina's arm and they both giggled with each other.

Soon enough, the crowd dispersed and only a few of the nobles and military officials stayed behind with the Crowns.

"These days are slipping for us." The current King said and caught the attention of others and they began to listen.

Lord Akabane stepped towards us and even Duke Kuro as well. Karma's father patted his back with delight and waited.

The current King tilted his head back and stared into the blue sky, not a single cloud in sight. With a long sigh, he looked at every one of us who were in his presence.

Then, he held the Queen's hand gently and they both turned to faced Karma and I.

"Please take care of this kingdom, for it our last wish."