Chapter 6

Your life back.

The words kept replaying in my head. The seriousness in Georgia's eye made me believe it. They had a determined stare that couldn't be denied

It was now 11:00 pm. I stood at the island in the kitchen, plunging my spoon into a full tub of strawberry ice-cream, then placing it into my mouth. I wasn't paying much attention to how much I was eating. I just couldn't keep my mind off of Georgia and her promise.

Getting my life back? What a dream.

I thought happily of sitting in the living room with my little brother playing play station games and chowing down on popcorn. I even pictured my mother coming in an screaming at us. Saying that we should be hitting the books, not the buttons on the controller. I then saw my Dad in the corner on his blackberry. Everything I saw in my head seemed normal.

My life could go back to the way it was. I could leave this giant mansion, and the giant psycho who owns it. I could sleep in my hard, twin bed rather than the memory-foam queen that sat in the middle of the room. I could be me, not the future Mrs. Worthington. I could freely drink my alcohol, instead of sipping on British imported tea.

But, I had to give to get. I needed to give Georgia the information she needed to solve the case. In return, I would get my life back.

How was I supposed to get the information? I hadn't even met Anthony's mother, or siblings. Even if I were to, what would I say? How could I interrogate them without them knowing?

"You act like I had a choice, Ezra. It was my name in his will! If I could get the money right now, I would. Believe me. But I can't. So you just have to wait"

I overheard Anthony talking on the phone. The person's name was Ezra, but I had no clue who he was. Anthony walked into the kitchen and was quite startled to see me at the island. He jumped back in fright, dropping his phone. He scrambled to pick it up, then placed it to his ear. Anthony finished the conversation with Ezra then hung up. He walked over to the other side of the island. He paced his hands on the island, supporting his weight, then released the burden of his head. Anthony's head hung low. He then raised it to meet my stare. He chuckled a bit when he saw the spoon dangling from my mouth.

"Is everything okay? Who was that on the phone?" I whispered.

"It was just my brother... Ezra"

Suspect #1 had been spotted. My eyebrows raised with curiosity as Anthony continued to talk.

"He needs money... for his family he says, but I know the real reason he needs it" Anthony stopped himself and hesitated.

"Which is?" I pried.

"Nothing... What're you doing up anyways?" Anthony said, changing the subject.

"I couldn't sleep... You know it's the first time I've had an unwanted sleepover. Besides, I heard you have strawberry ice-cream, I was too tempted to let that slide" I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Anthony didn't chuckle. He didn't even smile. All I saw was his body stiffen up.

"That was my Dad's favorite... He had it almost every single day" Anthony croaked, his eyes turning glassy.

"I'm sorry, Anthony" I said.

"I'm going to bed, you know if you don't feel comfortable, you can always come up in my room" He responded beginning to walk out.

It would been quite inviting if he wasn't my kidnapper.

I just smiled and nodded, which gave him some reassurance. I knew I would never want or need to stay in Anthony's room.

The next few moments were spent in complete silence as I heard Anthony stomp up the stairs. After I heard his door shut, I quickly sprang into action.

I wasn't Aria anymore. I was Hemmings, Aria Hemmings. Making my fingers form into a fake gun, I leaped around the kitchen to find myself facing a dark hallway.

"I've seen this in movies before, the blonde girl always dies" I whispered to myself.

I caressed a strip of my long, dark brown hair and shrugged.

"At least I'm not blonde" I smirked.

I tip-toed down the outstretched hallway, making sure I wasn't heard. With each room I passed, curiosity took over my mind. I wanted to go into each room, scope out the area. Maybe even find a way out.

After walking for a good seven minutes, I found myself at a dead end. On the wall, stopping the hallway from continuing, sat a family portrait.

Anthony's whole family creepily smiled at me, sending shivers down my spine.

A door creaked behind me. I spun around to face the empty hallway.

No one was there.

My nerves began to rise, and the hair on my neck stood tall. "Hello?" I called. My voice echoed. "Hello?" I repeated.

Still no answer.

I began to slowly walk down the hall, with every step I took, I looked behind. Still, no one was there.

Once I got to the end of the hallway, there was still no sign of anyone.

My fingers tingled by my sides and I bit my lip as I felt a presence behind me. A human presence. My mind began to run a marathon and my body shivered. Fear was beginning to take over my body. I found myself unable to move.

Fear. Something I had never felt before. So why should I feel it then?

With a bulk of hesitation filling my brain, I slowly turned around to face a dark figure standing behind me.

I shouted out in complete fear. The glance was so traumatizing, my body went numb. My knees collapsed, knocking me down to the ground. I stared up at the ceiling as an unknown, black dimension began to take over.