Chapter 8

The engine coughed and blew out a faint cloud of smoke. Anthony's black limo pulled away from the main entrance and stopped at the big black gates, monitoring everything that would come in and out of the Worthington Estate. The gates opened and before I knew it, the over-stretched limo disappeared down the wooded trail outside the giant barrier. I let out a sigh of relief. Anthony had finally left and I felt a sense of freedom.

I took in a big sniff of fresh air and closed my eyes. It felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

No more marriage-talk. No more fake smiles. No more Anthony... at least for a little while.

My quick daydream session came to a halt when the sound of teacups hitting the ground filled my ears. I spun around to find Holden, bending over to retrieve the fallen cups—most of which were broken. I slowly walked up to Holden with my hands behind my back. Although I was in the worst situation possible, something about Holden made it a little bit better. He looked up with his gorgeous green eyes and an embarrassed smile crossed his face.

"Need some help?" I asked, bending down to his level.

"No no. It's my mess. I have to clean it up. But thank you." He replied, picking up the final two teacups.

We both stood up and looked at each other in silence. Neither of us knew what we wanted to say, but both of us enjoyed the other's company. I looked shyly off into the distance.

"So what's on the agenda for today, Mrs. Worthington?" He asked.

Just the sound of that made me shudder. Holden noticed and quickly switched up his words.

"I mean, Aria." He smiled.

"Oh just meeting my soon to be mother-in-law. Riding horses, sipping tea, gossiping about the peasants in the valley." I said with a quirky British accent. Holden let out a small laugh.

"Ah, spending the afternoon with Mrs. Worthington. Sounds like a death sentence." Holden said. My eyes widened.

"Is she really that bad?"

"Not necessarily. Most would rather be faced with a five-headed dragon than to deal with her but everyone has their opinion. There's nothing to be worried about, Aria." Holden replied, placing a hand on my shoulder.

His touch felt warm, and comforting. Nothing like what I felt ever since I arrived at the madhouse renamed to Worthington Estate. Something about him made me feel secure or like I had someone to run to amongst this crazy situation. Most importantly, something about him made me feel as though he wouldn't mind helping me escape Anthony and his psychotic fantasy.

"So, Holden. You never really told me about yourself, you know. I mean, I feel like you should get to know the person before you decide to hit them with a door." I laughed.

I could still sense that he felt horrible about what he had done.

"Hey, I'm kidding. But really. Hot butler boy in a fancy, mysterious mansion. Sounds like there could be a good story there."

Holden shrugged his shoulders as though he wasn't too sure if he should give me the details about his life.

"I grew up in a small town. I had great parents, a brother, and a little dog, Stink. My parents died in a car accident a while back and it really hit me and my brother pretty hard. He went on somewhat of a rampage, then left me behind. With nothing left, I decided to come to the beautiful mansion up the big hill and beg for a job. Benjamin offered me one as his right-hand and I took it. And here I am a week later" He admitted.

It seemed to me that Holden had a pretty rough life. Losing both parents, and somewhat losing a brother must've been hard for him. It made me feel bad for the poor guy. He didn't seem like he deserved it.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Holden." I said, looking into his eyes. "Do you ever see your brother?" I asked.

Holden shook his head.

"I wish I could see my brother. I miss him surprisingly" I said.

"Really? Why don't you just invite him here? There are plenty of unused guest bedrooms in the east wing of the house. I'm sure Mr. Worthington wouldn't mind." Holden replied optimistically.

"How could I invite him?" I asked curiously.

"Mr. Worthington pretty much took all of the landlines from the house for some unknown reason but I do know of one telephone that he may not have touched."

My eyes began to glow. That one telephone could've been my ticket out of that place. Nothing sounded more satisfying then calling my family, bringing them here with the police, and watching Anthony being put in handcuffs. It all sounded like a fantasy but I knew it might be a possible reality.

"What telephone is that?"

"The telephone in old Mr. Worthington's office.  Benjamin told me that no one has dared to enter the office since he died. They won't even let the maids clean up the place. I bet Mr. Worthington wouldn't have gone in." Holden whispered.

A very bright smile appeared on my face. I quickly threw my arms around Holden and hugged tight. He smelled like very expensive cologne. I breathed in his addictive scent as I hugged his masculine figure.

At first he wasn't sure what to do. He was quite surprised about my sudden action. But then, he placed his hand on my lower back and awkwardly hugged me back.

"Thank you so much, Holden." I smiled, releasing him from my hold.

"It's my pleasure. I can take you there tonight when everyone is asleep. Midnight?" He suggested. I nodded with a smirk. "I'll see you at midnight, then, Ms. Aria"

"It's a date" I winked. I turned and walked away as soon as I saw his eyes widen.

Sure, I was using him just a bit. But it didn't mean I couldn't have a little fun along the way. Besides, he was broken, mysterious, and extremely good-looking. What more could a girl ask for?