Chapter Twenty Eight - Shock and Awe

A world loaded around him.

Steve blinked as harsh shapes and bright lights met his eyes, a corridor stretching out in front of him. The world was eerily silent, devoid of life and color.

Herobrine was here, somewhere.

He started down the hall.

__

He hurt.

The world spun before Herobrine's eyes, even though the cold stone pressed against his back assured him that he wasn't moving. Every breath he took was raspy, pained breaths echoing in his damaged lungs.

His eyes fluttered shut, but a whimper escaped him as he forced them back open. His body screamed for rest, for sleep, but every time he let his eyes close they would take him away again, thrust him into one of their sick games. The longer he stayed awake, the longer before the pain would start again.

He could hear footsteps making their way down the hall, metal crashing against stone with every step. His guard. Imposing in stature, Herobrine had no hope that he could beat it in a fight. Not in his condition, and even if that were possible he knew he could not get far.

This really was hopeless, wasn't it?

The door to his cell creaked open.

Instantly, he stiffened, breaths stilling as he reflexively squeezed his eyes shut. Not that it would help, his captors knew he was in here, but he couldn't help it anymore.

A footstep, then another. Some sort of creature? His captors rarely approached him physically. Herobrine let out a low growl - one of the only sounds he could make anymore, but the footsteps continued. He growled louder. A warning - or maybe just a plea.

Leave me alone.

"Brine." A whisper rang out in the darkness, and he froze. His eyes flickered open, only for him to flinch away at the sight of a figure standing over him. "Hey- hey, it's me." The figure knelt beside him, and this time he didn't shrink away. The voice, he-

Steve?

"I'm gonna touch you, okay?" The man murmured, hands lifted in front of him. "Try to get you out of here. Notch is here, he's gonna help too, and that kid - well, I talked him into it. He's on our side now. Can you move at all?" Wide eyes staring up at his savior, he managed a single nod. It was... too real. "Okay. Here, let me-" Gentle hands were on his shoulders, then under his arms, pulling him up. Herobrine let him, staying still and silent as he was lifted into a sitting position.

"Oh Notch, you- oh Herobrine..." Steve's voice was scarcely over a whisper, but Herobrine could still hear the horror that rang out in it. Undoubtedly he had discovered the damage to his form. The miner's grip slackened, and Herobrine's hand shot out, grabbing his shoulder for balance - and to assure himself that he was there. Steve jumped at the unexpected contact, but Herobrine ignored it, fingers tightening on the fabric of his sleeve. He was solid. He was real. What was he- how was he here-??

He swayed, but caught himself before he pitched forward. "C'mon, let's get you upright." Steve tried, but Herobrine shook his head, reaching out with his other hand to steady himself against the miner's shoulder. "Please, Herobrine, we need to go. At least out of this room, so it won't be as easy for them to find-"

A tear slipped down his cheek, and Steve stopped.

Herobrine let his head drop, a second tear trailing from his blind eye as the smallest of whimpers escaped him. The pitiful sounds he was making shook him to his core, he never thought he would be this weak again. He felt another tear slip down his face, and he bowed his head as his body trembled uncontrollably. Why, why now? He had gone through so much pain, and hadn't shed a single tear. Why this, why...?