Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

"So how are we going to keep you safe?" Aizawa growled, expression stony and eyes flashing with a red haze.

"As I said, I can work on mental defences preventing him from getting inside in the first place."

"From what I'm seeing of your memories, blocking that type of quirk out if they want in seems very unlikely," Dr Shinso sighed, steepling long, thin fingers together.

"So you're all telling me there's no way we can stop him from doing whatever he wants with my daughter?" Aizawa exclaimed, and his expression gave Maeve a nauseous lurch in her stomach.

"I'm bumping finding this mind gate maker to top priority for my team. We'll catch them and with any luck, the league as well in the coming week," Tsukauchi replied, already pulling out his phone to send alerts across the country. 

"We'll need to tighten security measures even further, I'm afraid. Vital written documents can't be held in the cottage as a precaution. Maeve, for your own safety, you're not to leave UA grounds unless you have an armed escort or at least three pro heroes," Nezu sighed, massaging his whiskers.

"We're going to need to get in touch with the hero public safety commission about this," Tsukauchi murmured softly, in between typing a message.

"I know," Nezu replied, his light tone unusually haggard.

"Why? Can't we keep this just with the police?" Maeve asked, worry making her voice higher pitched than normal.

"It's a matter of intelligence now. They'll be worried about information leaks."

"Leaks? This isn't a fucking dam, this is my life. I have enough to deal with without those creepers breathing down my neck all the time."

"We all want to protect you, Maeve, and although you're not going to be a fan of some of the measures we're needing to take, it's for the best."

"I don't think she should sit the entrance exam," Aizawa articulated, scratching his stubble and watching Maeve with twin ink wells for eyes. The three other men in the room were struck by how his dark features contrasted with the silvery-white complexion of his daughter.

"Not this again. I need something to push towards, and if you want me to learn self-defence, it's the best motivation."

"You could be pregnant, taking part in the practical would be endangering not only the embryo but yourself. You don't have any training, real combat experience, going up against powerful students who don't know you or care about hurting-"

"Trust me Dad. I won't be the first girl to pass the exam with a bun in the oven, and I won't be the last," Maeve replied dryly, the frequency of her pen taps gradually increasing. Nezu shifted in his seat.

"Nobody would think less of you if you take some time for yourself, we'd actually encourage it."

"Oh, you've all made that abundantly clear, thanks. But I'm doing this, and I'm going to the press conference tomorrow to tell the world exactly that."

Nobody replied. Tsukauchi had gotten up to take a call, Aizawa was too busy brooding, and Dr Shinso watched her with pensive indigo eyes.

***

Dabi unscrewed the first vodka bottle with a cool sense of purpose. It was so cheap that he couldn't discern between a sharp whiff of the stuff and the stink of cleaning products.

He hoped two over a few hours would be enough to knock himself out. The villain couldn't afford another and he wouldn't risk being admitted to hospital.