Chapter Fifty Nine

"I have a 10-year-old child with a head injury! He's responding to my questions but seems disorientated, and is losing a lot of blood," Midoriya explained in a rush, clutching a tiny person in his arms who bawled their lungs out. The UA student was already covered in grime and red streaks spread across his hero costume from a deep looking gash in his rescuee's forehead.

"Uh-huh. Triage is at the other side of the evacuation centre," Maeve replied, going back to scribbling on a previous patient's record.

"Aren't you going to examine me? I might have a concussion," the 'kid' asked pointedly. Maeve glanced up from her work with an exasperated expression and pressed her index finger to his temple.

"I don't know if you're supposed to act like you have a concussion or not, but your pupils aren't dilated and from the way you answered I can tell you're lucid. In that case, if we're playing make-believe, the only thing to do would be to close up your non-existent head wound. Do you get migraines?" She asked the rescuee nestled in Midoriya's arms. The '10-year-old child' stopped crying in surprise and glared at Maeve like he'd been personally insulted.

"Patients are to be treated with respect, ma'am. I'm going to have to dock points-"

"Look. I could waste my time treating imaginary ailments or while we're both here you could have a free doctor's appointment. I assume you've been getting progressively worse migraines. Can you confirm?"

"Maybe because I have a head wound," the man spat, adjusting his cap in a disgruntled manner.

"Maybe because you have Hypervitaminosis A. Midoriya, could you give us some privacy?"

The green-haired student glanced between the two with an anxious expression, however, quickly dashed away into the disaster zone.  

"Vitamin A toxicity is causing your brain to swell," Maeve explained before the HUC worker could interject. 

"Do you take dietary supplements or vitamins?"

"What? No?"

"Hmm, interesting. Any kind of medication?" 

"Just stuff for... Why am I talking to you about this? We need to stay within the bounds of the exam," he insisted, tugging on his cap. 

"The seizures will most likely start in the next week," Maeve explained calmly, pointing approaching heroes towards triage. 

"What? You're just trying to scare me now," the HUC worker scoffed. Maeve exhaled through her nose and tapped a pen against her temple. 

"As your doctor, what would the point of that be? I'm here to help you, but there's limited time so if you don't want me I recommend you see your GP-"

"No, fine. I've been getting migraines, loss of sensation... I thought it was just a side effect of my dwarfism since I've always gotten headaches."

"No, they're not related at all. What medication do you take?"

"Stuff for acne." 

"Accutane?"

"Yeah."

"How long have you been on it?"

"Uh, three years? I think?"

"There's the problem. Your doctor should've stopped giving you prescriptions after 12 months at most. Accutane contains high levels of vitamin A, which have built up and are causing your brain to swell. If you stop taking the medication it's early enough that you won't need to release the pressure in a spinal tap."

"Acne medication?"

"Yessir. Wait over at the edge of the evacuation centre, please. There'll be nurses to help you shortly."