The scout

The sun peeked over the distant mountain range and glimmered through the moss covered ancient trees that towered over the lesser fauna like giants. The distant sound of a woodpecker could be heard as he started his day's labour and the smell of morning hung fresh in the air as the small scouting party made their way to the ocean shore.

"Why did the commander send us off with all the squadrons he has at his fingertips,'' the boot said, adjusting his pack with a jangle that sounded off like a ship rushing to meet a stone wall.

"Quiet you damned fool, if these savages capture us I will see that you're the first one they execute you blubbering idiot," The squadron leader said with a scoff, he kept a tighter grip on the blade at his hip.

"Listen, commander, all Im saying is, us four? Wes not scouts, were soldiers." The foolish one said kicking a rock.

"Maybe it's because you brought whores on post after already getting us on dry status you damned fool", the archer said with his eyes scoping the horizon.

The leader sighed in defeat. He turned to survey the line of them, facing all four he just shook his head and faced back forward

"Were no more than three hours out, We confirm outlanders have landed, we count them and head back, that's it, nothing complicated'' the commander said, rubbing his scarred face with a gloved hand.

"Even you cant mess that up,'' The caboose said with a mouth full of bread, the stale heel in his hand could as likely be used as a weapon .

"What if they do see us though",The fool said with a voice of concern as he suddenly placed a hand on the short blade at his side as if he knew how to effectively use it

"To be frank, after three years of your fuck ups, if you get us spotted im going to break your knees and leave you for them", The leader said in all to eery seriousness. He turned around and gave the fool a very sarcastic smile and rolled his eyes.

"Werent using them anyhow, besides you wouldn't do that infront of them anyway", the fool said jerking his head backwards towards the archer.

"You can shoot him with my bow"

"I have a rock hammer in my pack"

"Hardy har, jokers", he said finally concerned for his wellbeing

"Oh Im completely serious, after Frankoff got killed because you hid and cried behind the battlements, I would kill you myself if it wouldn't get me a section 50",The archer said playing with the string of his bow.

"Or when they invaded that post in Grimshald and he hid in the armory while they were-"

"I know what they were doing, don't you remind me of it!",The fool said cutting off the caboose. Just the thought of what had occurred seemed to be enough to send a chill down their collective spines

"It's a shame I was sweet on that wine girl, The archer saideven more shameful the way I found her, I hate them", The archer said with a tone of bitterness only matched by a cold brewing fury deep within.

There was a cold silence amongst the men for a time as they walked through the ancient trees, the mossy covered forest floor concealing the sound of their footsteps as they made their way to the supposed landing sight of these outlanders.

"Speaking of Grimshald, we should have given that cook a nomination",The caboose said still gnawing on the stale heel of bread.

"He did serve up the old sow in a fine manner", The archer said

"Savory cracked skin that just pulled off of the poor beast", the caboose said with dreamy eyes,"now that was a meal worth fighting for".

"I think the whore house in Belese had him beat", the leader said looking always forward.