When you didn't ask for it

Start from the beginning

A small smirk tugged at the corners of his lips as he watched her silently fume, awaiting his answer. 

"Nah love, like you said I'm aware of everything" and he softly pushed passed her then and sauntered on his way into the dark corners of the street that where on.

---

Amelia's day had been uneventful and quiet. The doctor had seen to most of the important patients that day which just left her with the usual cuts and bruises. Sitting back at her desk she suddenly remembered her date with Jack and inwardly cringed. This was not something she wanted, the plan was to come to Small Heath and get on with it, not to go on dates like a normal young woman. Amelia didn't feel she deserved any of the good that came with her life.

However she knew the guilt would get to her if she cancelled on him at such last minute so she headed home to get ready. They had both agreed that the pictures where the best option for their first date and Amelia was hoping to finally see the place after her and Ada's plans fell through.

A quick look in the mirror and a smooth of her hand Amelia was satisfied with her outfit choice. An emerald green dress that fitted her waist and flared just after her hips bought the attention of her striking hair and frame. A black shawl was thrown over her shoulders to protect her from the chill with matching heels and gloves. Amelia loved the feel of the material on her skin as she took the stairs and waited in the living room for Jack.

A few moments later there was a soft knock at the door. Jack was stood there, freshly shaven in a plain suit and matching hat. Jacks boots where perfectly shined which no doubt had something to do with his mother.

"Good evening" he greeted, holding out his arm. Accepting graciously Amelia felt the sudden need to pull away.

"Hello Jack, you look very smart tonight" she smiled as they began their walk to the pictures.

He laughed then, a big hearty laugh which she felt vibrate down his arm "You don't look so bad ya self!" Jacks laugh was infectious and she found herself sharing a small smile with him "hopefully you'll enjoy what I have to offer tonight"

"I'm sure you'll do just fine being my tour guide" and she squeezed his arm gently.

--

"Honestly that was better than I expected" Jack said as he held the door open for Amelia. In the night he looked so young and sweet. Amelia had enjoyed his company and was thankful for no awkwardness between them both. As they both stepped onto the street with small bits of light come from a few street lights Amelia noticed how free Jack looked.

Not a care in the world and she liked that about him. Amelia took his arm and was grateful that he let her. The heels she was wearing was beginning to wear thin on her patience. 

"It was a lovely film- I can honestly say I wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed it" she agreed, looking up at him and smiling. 

"Has anyone ever told ya that you ave' a beautiful smile?"

A blush suddenly crept up her throat and landed on her cheeks, she laughed a little and playfully shoved his arm. Ada was right in saying that Jack had all the confidence in the world.

"Am' being serious. I can see why half of Small Heath bloody stares at ya!"

Amelia rolled her eye's playfully "You must be mistaken Jack" and he laughed then, gently pulling her with him down the street. They where suddenly two streets away from Amelia's house when a figure suddenly appeared in front of them. A large burly figure with a peaked cap covering half of his face.

Suddenly lunging for them both he made a successful grab at Jack. "Hey!" Amelia screamed as the unknown man began to push Jack forcefully against the wall.