14: The Harvest Fair challenge

Start from the beginning

"Even if we only sell them for a dollar?" Daniel asks.

"Theoretically, yes. But there's also a twist." He continues.

"Not surprised." I mutter to Leo and he scoffs.

"A good leader is also a creative marketer. You must be able to sell your ideas to the public. So that's why there's also going to be a competition between the two houses to see who can earn the most money by selling the same number of cupcakes. The winner will get to choose the theme for the Greenhouse Halloween dance party." Louis says and I nod.

"That's the prize? Who cares about a theme." Jackie mutters.

"However, the losing team has the pleasure of cleaning up the mess by itself after the party." Louis adds.

"Forget everything I said. We are not losing this." Jackie states.

"Good luck!" Louis says, clapping his hands.

  ||

"You gotta admit, this challenge is a bit pathetic." I tell Leo as we set some decorations down at our table.

"You know what's pathetic? Staying up after the dance to clean up everyone else's mess. Not gonna happen. So, let's focus and come up with a strategy." He says and I scoff.

"I'd honestly be fine with cleaning up the mess. I'm an organized person, so it wouldn't bother me. And really, a strategy?" I say.

"Mmm." Leo nods at me.

"What, are we invading Russia? I mean, all we gotta do is sell a bunch of cupcakes. A third grader could do this." I say, pointing at them on the table.

"I mean, not as well as me." Leo says as he follows me and I let out a laugh.

  ||

"Get your red and blue Raven cupcakes!" Leo says.

"C'mon!" Hayley exclaims at the people passing by our stand.

"Help support our STEM scholarship fund!" Max says.

"One cupcake could save the world!" I exclaim and Leo looks at me with an amused face.

"What's your problem, Ramirez ?" He chuckles at me.

"I don't know, it's idiotic." I shrug, looking down at the cupcakes.

"Hey. Uh, how much are these?" A guy with curly hair and glasses says, walking over to us.

"Well, the small ones go for-"

"There's no price on these cupcake." I say, cutting Leo off.

"Really?" Leo says to me.

"This is for charity. We are raising money for disadvantaged kids to go to a summer science camp. So we trust you to pay what you feel is fair." I nod at the guy.

"What are you doing?" Leo mutters to me.

"Taste it." I say, nodding at the guy once again.

He takes a cupcake from the tray and takes a big bite of it.

"Trust me. This is democratic socialism." I mutter back to him.

"It's delicious." The guy comments.

"Did you know that one of our STEM scholarships students from ten years ago went to Caltech and was part of the group that invented Siri for the iPhone?" I inform him.