I'm in Trouble

I apologize for not updating sooner (I'm pretty sure this is the note that I've left on every chapter) but I was nannying at the beginning of the summer for a doctors children so you can understand how that might have been crazy due to COVID. I hope everyone is staying safe and wearing those masks!

I groan, cursing as my alarm goes off. I turn to my side table and shut it off before rolling over and looking up at my ceiling, wondering how bad it would really be if I just went back to sleep. 

It was now Tuesday, and my long weekend was officially over. Colton stayed until about three in the afternoon on Sunday before he had to get back to his apartment. He had some work things he missed because he had been in the hospital with his brother and sister in law. For the rest of Sunday and all of Monday it was just Milton and I, very much to the little orange tabby's dismay. 

I let out another groan as I roll out of my bed and head to my closet to pull out a pair of scrubs. It was just one of those days where I really don't feel like putting on a dressier outfit. My bosses tend to like us to wear business casual unless we're in the OR, or if I'm delivering babies, but I just couldn't be bothered today. 

After I finish dressing and putting on gym shoes, I head into the bathroom to brush my teeth and pull my hair back in a french braid. I'm not scheduled for any deliveries or c-sections today, but its best to have my hair out of my face just in case. 

When I'm finally done getting ready I make my way to the kitchen to grab some water and toast, checking my email as my bread toasts. Plain bread seems to be the only thing I can keep down at the moment, so it's what we're going with. I threw up some more Sunday around noon, after lunch, very much to Colton's concern. He continued to check on me every hour after he left and wanted an update after I ate dinner. What I initially ate didn't stay down, but I didn't tell him that out of fear it would push him over the edge and he'd come flying over here all concerned. Monday went much better, considering all I ate was crackers and toast. This baby is going to just be a loaf of bread when its born with how many carbs I've been eating.

After I slowly eat my breakfast I grab my bag and make my way to my car, noting to myself I need to grab groceries after work so my cat doesn't starve. I also need to make sure I don't starve, but cat owners know it would be way worse for him to run out of food than for me to run out of food. 

Before I start driving I text the group chat of residents and med students on my service to meet on the labor and delivery floor for rounds at 8:30. Rounding is important of course because you check up on your patients and make sure there's no problems, but in teaching hospitals it helps educate the medical students, and even the residents on problems you might run into when rounding on patients. 

I arrive a little later than I want to at the hospital due to construction but I still have time to quickly drop my things at my office and grab my white coat and stethoscope before heading to the floor where I can see my team waiting for me. 

As I approach the team, I notice they all have their backs to me, not noticing that I'm practically right behind them. 

"I heard she lost her shit on some nurses this weekend when she had to come in" one of my new 3rd year medical student says.

My chief resident, Andy, nods in agreement. "She found one of our patients, Callie King, in an extreme state of pain that was potentially life threatening to the baby. I actually want to say quickly, even though as medical students and interns you're considered bottom of the food chain, don't ever be afraid to speak up if you see something wrong happening in the hospital. I don't care who it is or how afraid you are of them, the patient always come first. If you see injustice and report it, you will always have someone backing you up. We're all here for patients, so please don't be afraid to speak up and stand up for someone who may not know enough to stand up for themselves."