Chapter 5: Babies?

Depuis le début

"Maybe after school tomorrow, Hatsume."

She grinned.

"Anyway, I was here to look at my suit." I redirected the conversation.

"Right." He took it out. "Have a quick look over, just to make sure we've got everything."

I skimmed the instructions, checked the style, and tested the material. "Looks good."

"Great. You can be on your way now."

"Wait! Before I leave... could we talk about something? I have a question."

"Ask away," He replied.

"Is it possible for me to get a permit to work in the Development Studio after school? I know I'm in the hero course, but—"

Power Loader cut me off, "Of course! We can talk about it tomorrow when you come to test things for Hatsume."

"Thank you! I best be on my way now, I can't be late."

~

I joined the rush to get to class, and sat down just in time. Iida didn't even have time to scold me for being late. I wasn't able to control the small smile on my face at the prospect of being allowed to work in the Development Studio. The idea was just so exciting to think about, that I—

"I am here! Coming through the door like a hero!" There were gasps and disbelieving, excited exclamations as All Might burst through the doorway. "Welcome to the most important class at UA High, think of it as Heroing 101! Here, you will learn the basics of being a pro! And what it means to fight in the name of good. Let's get into it!"

He whipped out a card with "BATTLE" written on it. "Today's lesson: no pulling your punches!"

So... fighting? That seems easy enough...

I could hear Bakugo say something, but I was too focused on All Might to care. "But one of the keys to being a hero is... looking good!" He pointed to one of the walls, and shelves began to slide out.

"These were designed for you based on your quirk registration forms, and the requests you sent in before school started."

That's why they asked me to come in today... so that they could be certain that my costume was alright for today's exercise.

"Get yourselves suited up, and then meet me at Training Ground B!"

"Yes sir!" We yelled.

~

I waited for everyone else to change, before I changed quickly. The idea of these strangers seeing what I looked like... was terrifying. Or maybe it was the reaction I'd get from my parents if they knew that scared me. Either way, I was still unable to smother my excitement. And nervousness. This was the first real lesson for all of us heroes-in-training in the hero course...

My costume was made of a tight, flexible black fabric that allowed me to move easily without worrying about it getting caught on anything. The fabric was light-weight, incredibly durable, and allowed me to blend into the shadows.

I had paired it with black boots made of a special flexible metal which protected my feet, hardening on impact to make up for my lack of a physical quirk. To protect me from the aftershock, it had a cushioning lining. A belt slung across my waist had small pockets, and contained emergency flares, basic first aid supplies, and extra hand wraps for my left hand. Those hand wraps were made of a special combination of fibres and metals to strengthen the power of my punches.

My right arm was left uncovered. I didn't like the fact that it was uncovered, but it was important in case of emergencies.

My parents would probably kill me if they knew. I mean... they did say to keep my... "deformities" hidden. But, as a matter of doing the right thing, I want to leave it as easy access.