Chapter 1

Riley's POV

"You cannot get away from me." An electricized voice say as I ran in the middle of nowhere. My heart was racing as fear consumed me. I cannot let him get to me. Then I heard the malicious voice laughing at me.

"Run all you want but I will catch you." It said mocking me.

My face was covered in sweat and tears. Even after running for so long I was getting nowhere. I kept looking back to make sure I was running away from that monster. I never saw his face as he concealed himself in black clothes and a black mask. Why was this happening again? I asked myself. No matter what I tried this monster kept coming back. I turned back again to find behind him right behind me extending an arm to catch me. I screamed and moved my legs as fast as I could. Suddenly I tripped and fell on the ground. Thud, thud, thud. My heart beat a tattoo on my chest. My throat was dry as sand paper and I did not have the strength to get up.

"I have got you now." Said the voice again. I wrapped my hands around myself laying in a fetal position. No! I whispered as a dark shadow loomed over me.

In an instant the dark shadow disappears and I hear a groan. I get up to see my stalker pinned down to the floor by someone else. Who is he? I wondered. That man started to beat the guy beneath him. His muscles bulged through the material of his t-shirt. I couldn't look away. He felt so familiar. My stalker kept receiving punch after punch and yelled in pain.

The man stood up and kicked that stalker in the stomach. My eyes suddenly noticed the ink on the back of his neck. It was of an infinity symbol which finished with the word 'faith' underneath it. I gasped. There was only one person I knew that had the same tattoo.

"You." I whispered as everything faded into darkness.

I woke in my bed safe, but disheveled and disoriented. That tattoo cannot mean anything. Again. Why would I possibly see him in midst of everything else? Am I going crazy? My nightmares have been going on for the past two months. Ever since my life has been threatened by that mystery stalker. I was in Brooklyn for a meeting when he attacked me. I kept getting recorded messages afterwards which were mostly about finding and killing me. He tried to choke me with a pillow in my hotel room. He could've killed me that day but he didn't deliberately. On his way out he left the door open and while later a hotel staff found me on the floor. I was rushed to the ER and my parents were informed. My adoptive parents, Ryland and Leslie Maddox. They had been very worried and my father, Ryland had hired PIs and had left no stones unturned to look for the man who caused me such pain. We had not yet found him because I had no idea what he looked like. The only thing I remember was that he was wearing all black. There were a bunch of phone calls over time. All had been the same electronic voice that told me I was going to die in his hands.

We are not being able to understand the meaning of this. Who would want to hurt me so badly? The investigators suggested that it might be the cause of being the Child, adopted nonetheless, of a multi-millionaire. Maybe that's the reason but it is still unclear that why this man was after my life. He did not even ask for ransom.

Paranoia gripped me at every moment of my life now. I kept busy with my new company, Havenly Homes, my precious dream. The company is my baby and I couldn't let anything get in the way of it. I was recommended time off work but to be honest it is was kept me distracted from all the chaos.

It said 5 am on the clock and I did not have to leave till seven thirty. I followed into my regular routine of yoga, meditation and cooking breakfast. Freely showered and ready at around seven I checked my messages while making my breakfast. The answer machine tinged.

"One new message." it said.

"Hey kiddo. I know you're probably up by now so come over to our house for lunch today. Leslie will make her famous Arepas and also that we haven't talked in a long time. Just making sure that you're okay kiddo. Bye. Love you." said Ryland