Hold Me Forever

Mulai dari awal

My jaw almost drops at his words. The respect this man has for me seems a bit insane, considering the assholes I've had in the past.

"To be honest everything in me knew I was keeping this baby the minute I found out I was pregnant, no matter what. I love my job, but I've been working myself to the bone for a little over a year to fill voids in my life in regards to love and family. If work was crazy I had an excuse for why I didn't have a boyfriend or a family, and it kept my mind off a lot of things."

He nods, and for some reason I feel more understood telling him this than when I've told anyone else. To be fair I've really only told Taylor this and she just didn't seem to understand it.

"To be fair I've been doing the same thing for the last couple years. I threw myself into work after I broke off an engagement a few years ago and haven't really stopped since. I've grown my business in ways I didn't think possible, but I always wonder at what cost. I want this baby too, Faye, with my entire being."

I nod with tears filling my eyes as he brings me closer to him. We sit holding each other, the only noise that can be heard is the rain hitting against my house. After a few moments Colton speaks.

"I really like you Faye. You're strong, smart, and you're so passionate about your job. I want to get you know better, and I don't think we should be in a relationship just because of the baby, but I genuinely want to try and have something with you.

I nod, looking up at him. "I want to try too, but I can't promise it will be easy. I'm not the easiest person to understand I say half laughing."

I wish I were joking about that but I'm not an easy person to be around. I push people away for no good reason other than I'm stuck in my head and its a wonder Taylor is still around.

He laughs at my comment, "You seem to forget you also have to put up with me."

I laugh in response and we sit like this for the rest of the night, getting to know each other through all of a good parts, and some of the parts we've kept away for a long time.

He tells me that he's in business, providing more accessible technology and media resources to people while innovating the way people work with the technology they have, and creating new ideas everyday. He also tells me he has a nonprofit dedicated to allowing technology to reach everywhere in the world, especially to underdeveloped communities to help with education rates. He tells me he's passionate about education because both of his parents were educators. His dad was a high school principal who became a part time professor after he retired and his mother is still an elementary school principal. He tells me he has a younger brother and sister in law, Alex and Callie , whom I met in a very unfortunate way, and an even younger sister Ellie who is a Sophomore in college, and is currently studying abroad in Spain. He's 32, his brother is 29, and their sister is 19. The older brothers like to call her the oops baby, very much to their parents' dismay.

I don't ask about the fiancé, and most of me doesn't even care to know about her. It was a long time ago, and Colton has clearly changed since then.

Finally we get to the toughest question of all, our parents. 

"So how mad are your parents going to be at me when they find out you're pregnant?" He asks half joking, half serious. 

I give him a soft smile, "My parents were killed by drunk driver in a car accident when I was a senior in high school. I do have an older brother who you'll have to deal with," I say smirking, trying to lighten the mood. "You're lucky he's doing wildlife research in South Africa right now."

Colton gives me a sad smile. "I'm really sorry about your parents, and I'm very scared to meet your brother."

I laugh, "Well, are your parents going to hate me for being your pregnant mistress?"

He lets out a full laugh, "Faye, you literally helped save Callie's life, you could murder a puppy and they would still welcome you with open arms."

I scoff at the idea of murdering a puppy, which makes him laugh harder. "I would never murder a puppy!"

He finally finishes laughing before he speaks again, "Seriously though Faye, don't worry. We don't have to tell them it was a one night stand that brought us together, although I don't know that they would really be too upset about that. We're both financially stable adults and know what we're getting into. 

I nod, leaning into him more, somehow feeling tired even though I slept most of the day away. 

"Will you stay the night?" I ask softly.

He nods, standing me and himself up and leading us back into my room. As I change into pajamas and get ready in the bathroom he strips into his boxers and crawls in bed. I fall asleep to him rubbing soothing patterns on my back, and I can't help but wish this moment would last forever.