Finally... His Decision

The next few days went along the lines of Adelaide attempting to escape the case and Newt repeatedly returning her to the cot to rest.

He did everything in his power to ensure her comfort and safety; he'd only leave the case if Queenie were present, and that itself hardly occurred.

Within the first day she had felt her strength returning, and by the third she felt fit enough to leave, but Newt insisted on watching over her until he was sure. He would come down the ladder with a bowl of soup and take up his designated chair right by her side.

"Queenie made dinner," he'd whisper, seeing her flipping the pages of her book. "You should eat something."

She sighed and put her novel down, smirking, "You know I'm perfectly capable of eating at the table with the rest of the family."

He helped her shift into a sitting position, adjusting her pillows, "I'd feel better if you stayed down here. I don't want you risking the trip up the ladder."

"You know I am a healer, Newt. I think I would know if I was fit enough to go up."

He contained a smile, "Oh, really Adelaide?"

"Oh, really Newton! I miss everyone."

With a soft trace of his fingertips, he grazed her hairline in response, quickly retracting his hand, "You still feel a bit warm. Hold on a minute."

Huffing slightly, Anna took her bowl of soup and began to eat as Newt fussed with medications and a cool dishcloth. He returned with a quick step and knelt beside her in silence, dabbing her feverish forehead. In those sweet moments they had in the case, these were always her favorite; it was the perfect opportunity for her to study and admire his face while he worked.

The slight concern that creased between his eyebrows as he subtly bit his lip. His auburn hair draped to the side as his mysteriously colored eyes concentrated with the utmost attention.

She was counting his freckles when she felt his hand move down to the side of her face, "Adelaide?"

"Sorry?" She snapped her focus on his rosy cheeks and looked at his shy gaze.

"You were daydreaming again," he muttered, standing and cleaning his supplies away from the cot. "Where do you go when you do that?"

She hid a smile, "Nowhere in particular."

Another long instant in the case was when Tina decided to come down to share news of MACUSA. Anna had the Niffler snuggled in her lap as Newt sorted through the growing library he had begun on his wall for Adelaide to choose from.

"Good morning, Anna. How are you feeling?"

The young Goldstein hummed as she stroked the Niffler into a sleepy daze, "I'm still a little sore, but nothing that won't eventually pass. Newt's been a complete saint as always."

Newt paused in his work, taking in the compliment before rounding to Tina, "What have you found?"

"I've made a full surveillance of Graves, but he's completely disappeared," she flailed her arms as her slight frustration shined through. "In three days he's cleared any evidence of what happened with us. I've been asking around the officials, but they all say that he's currently on some special assignment. There are no records or recollections at all of what happened at MACUSA."

Anna nodded her head slowly, tickling the Niffler, "Apparently Graves has done a thorough job in keeping his slate clean."

Newt folded his arms, allowing his toned forearms to appear from his rolled up sleeves, Anna noticed immediately, "I'm not entirely surprised. Something is not right in his head."