Mind Over Matter

It was early in the morning when he woke up. He sat up in his cot and stretched out his arms and then his fingers. The air in the case was crisp and fresh with frosty dew covering the surrounding surfaces. Although it didn't take long for Newt to pass over the appreciation and snap towards the hillside where the Thunderbird enclosure was located.

He flung his blanket to the side and sped down the damp grass towards the sandy sunlight home. He skidded to a halt right at the entryway and found the Thunderbird Frank still resting on his side. However there was no girl lying between his wings.

Newfound panic streamed throughout his body as he squeaked out, "Adelaide?" He ran over and around the enclosure, "Adelaide!"

Frank lifted his heavy head and clicked his beak, observing Newt with an annoyed gaze.

Newt ran up to him, "Where did she go, Frank. Is she alright?"

The bird blinked and took a deep breath, shifting its head towards the pathway up back to the shed. Within a second Newt scrambled up towards the ladder and struggled getting up to the surface. He slammed the case lid open and fell out onto the floor of the kitchen.

It didn't take long for him to straighten out and scan the entire area for any sign of the petite girl. However all he found was the tall figure of Queenie sitting quietly on the living room sofa, a robe tightly wrapped around her.

"Good Morning, Newt," she grinned.

Between heavy breaths, Newt flattened his ruffled vest he had slept in and took only two steps to get across the room to the older sister. He blinked a few times and watched the blonde woman's dazzling eyes.

"Do you know where Adelaide is?"

"Anna?" she asked. "Oh, she snuck out of here almost an hour ago."

Newt gave a confused look and clutched his fists at his sides, shuffling his feet. Queenie gave him a serious gaze and squinted her eyes slightly.

"She went to the hospital, right? Why didn't you stop her?"

Queenie gave a subtle smirk and continued with a focused look. Newt scrunched his eyebrows and tilted his head to the side, avoiding eye contact, "Are you trying to read my mind?"

The sister took a breath, sighing audibly, "You brits are so hard to read." She flicked her wand to the light above her, bringing clarity to the darkened room. "If she doesn't go back she'll go crazy. She has to make sure everything is alright."

Newt held his breath and rubbed his thumbs across his tight fists, "Can you tell me what's going on?"

She crossed her legs and observed him closely, "If she hasn't said anything, I'm not."

Newt took a step forward, desperation in his footsteps, "I want to help her – I need to help her. Why won't she talk to me? I've offered to listen countless times, but she refuses to tell me anything that's happening at the hospital. I know it's bothering her."

Queenie nodded and turned her eyes to the floor, "You like her, don't you?"

Newt sat on the couch cushion next to the sister, "I – I believe we've already been over this. Everyone seems to know but Anna. Besides, we all know she's interested in that S-Soren fellow."

Taking a huff, Queenie turned her head and placed a hand on Newt's knee. She then stood up and tied her robe sash into a knot, walking back into the kitchen and shutting the lid of Newt's case.

"She'll tell you in her own time. She's a fragile girl, Newt. It takes time to open her up."

Newt rested his hands on his legs and tilted his head to the ground, letting his hair cover his face. Regardless of what Queenie thought, he needed to be there for Adelaide – make sure she knew that he was there.