Relationship As A Journey

Start from the beginning

When he looked back towards Anna he was surprised to see that the mug of hot chocolate seemed to be a few sips emptier than before.

He suppressed a small knowing smile before taking his place next to Anna, a lot closer than the first time. He held the old notebook in his hands and twiddled his fingers across the binding.

"I want to show you something. Is that okay?" He bent his head to the side to find her eyes, "But I'm not going to open it until you tell me you want to see it." Newt actually scooted a bit closer and kept his face trained on her still one. But she didn't move at all.

Newt banged the book against one hand before standing up and placing his journal on the table. He squatted down in front of Anna and sighed loudly. He very slowly raised a hand to both of hers and unwrapped them from the blankets around her. He tugged on them gently and then harder, urging her to stand. When she complied, he led her to her usual reading chair next to the fireplace. She sat down, still locking her eyes to something distant and not saying a word.

Newt situated her blanket back on her shoulders and pointed to the nightstand next to the plush chair. Below the surface was a visible basket full of the books Anna normally read when she was bored.

Gesturing, Newt said, "Pick one."

He returned to the couch and grabbed his little brown notebook, leaning back into the cushions.

He didn't look back up to Anna as he said, "I'm still not going to show you until you ask me to." Newt then flipped the old, yellowing pages of the booklet and extracted a small wooden pencil.  Placing it in his mouth, he smoothed out a fresh page.

Determined to not say a word and be as frustrating as possible, it seemed Anna wasn't going to pipe up. Newt, determined to stick it out, began working in his journal.

It didn't take long for Anna to get annoyed with doing absolutely nothing. Within minutes she was leaning over to her novel collection and picking out a large, deep golden book. She flipped to the front page and licked her lips, sporting a disgruntled look.

Newt snuck a smile and continued gazing at his notebook. And they sat just there for what seemed like hours. Anna reading her book and Newt writing in his journal.

Remembering everything from inside that case, Anna was practically dying trying to figure out what was on those pages in Newt's hands. It was probably something incredible about his creatures or all the places he's visited. All his notes on being a magizoologist and his times discovering new beasts. Or it could be pages on the book he was writing.

"Show me."

Newt looked up from his work, "What was that?"

Anna rolled her eyes and shut her novel, wrapping her arms around it, "You got me. Happy? Now I'm asking you to show me your book."

He smirked, "Not before you show me yours."

She smacked the armrest of the chair, "That's not fair. We had a deal."

Newt gazed back down at his frail weathering pages and pouted a little innocently, "Someone's in a bit of a mood, aren't they."

"Don't mock me," Anna frowned. "I don't need it today." But Newt could see the slight twinkle in her eye.

He ignored the face she was making, "I saw the title. Hogwarts: The Founded Foursome. I wouldn't think you'd be interested in the British school of magic."

"Just because I went to Illvermorny doesn't mean I hate all other wizarding schools. I've always wanted to go to England actually." Anna looked down at her book lovingly, "I would love to travel. See Hogwarts, I think I would've been a Hufflepuff."