Chapter 19

"Is Dreece here?" Rhett asked, refusing to look at me as he asked the question, craning his head for a better view of the room beyond me. The fact that he didn't return the greeting stung, making my chest ache.

"No. They got called into work, why?" The chain kept me from opening the door any further, a relief since I only had a ratty old shirt on.

"Oh." Finally he looked at me, his grey eyes sending butterflies through me. "They'd invited me over a few weeks ago for a movie night. I guess they must have forgotten is all with getting called into work."

"Probably... " I offered an uncertain shrug biting my lip. "Umm... what kind of movie were you planning to watch? I mean... I'm kind of stuck here alone and... well... I'd still really like for us to at least be friends."

Guilt plunged through me even as I made the offer. I'd already drug Rhett through the mud, would it be leading him on if I still spent time with him? Plus eventually he'd figure out I was pregnant if we spent too much time together.

"No... I don't... I don't think that would be the best idea." Rhett answered softly. It seemed that now that he was looking at me, he couldn't look away.

"R-right... yeah you... you're right it wouldn't be a good idea..." Swallowing I moved to close the door, my eyes burning.

"But.. I mean maybe we could do a movie just this once. We had planned to watch The Breakfast Club, maybe followed by Sixteen Candles." Rhett said softly just before I closed the door.

Taking a shaky breath, I didn't give myself time to debate my answer, simply removing the chain and opening the door.

"Sure, it's just this one time. Just let me go put something else one." I offered him a weak smile before heading back to my room to change. I pulled on a pair of lounge pants before heading back out to the living room.

"I hope you don't mind, but I'd kind of ordered pizza ahead since Dreece had said it was my turn to buy. I got a plain cheese one and a veggie lovers." Rhett shrugged, his scruffy cheeks a bit darker as he spoke.

"Sounds great." My stomach rolled in protest at the thought of eating anything greasy or cheesy like that. "Do you want something to drink?"

"I'll take a beer if you've got one." Rhett didn't look at me as he set up the movie. It was a testament to the amount of time he and Dreece hung out that he could so easily do things in our apartment. "Otherwise water is fine."

"Alright," Moving the kitchen gave me a few moments to clear my head. His smell had been so potent in the living room. Only the snow coming down in sheets kept me from opening the windows for some fresh air.

Grabbing a beer from the fridge, I hesitated. Unlike Nathan, Rhett had never been around me when I drank. He wouldn't know that the beers were in there for me, pre-pregnancy. At the same time, it would seem strange if I just grabbed a water for myself.

Standing there, I thought I'd only been a few minutes, when an arm reached out around me grabbing a beer.

"You okay there Ryan?" Rhett asked softly, his presence a warmth at my back. His words stirred the hair on the back of my neck, sending chills racing up my spine.

"I umm... y-yeah. Just trying to decide what I'm in the mood for." I grabbed a water before closing the fridge and turning. I'd meant it to be a nice smooth motion, but Rhett was standing a lot closer than I thought.

His arms wrapped around me as I stumbled, bumping against him in my less than graceful turn. Heat burned in his eyes before he let go, taking a quick step back.