9.

It wasn't until an hour after Jefferson left that it dawned on me what he said.

Neither of us have ever used the word 'date' that way in any of our interactions. Our hangouts were mainly casual and platonic in nature, though I tended to get closer to him sometimes than I probably should. I didn't know how that small four-letter word was going to affect our relationship in the future.

I was to know sooner than expected.

After our conversation, Mrs White offered him some of the breakfast that had left over. At first, Jefferson declined, but when he heard that there was a bit of chocolate pudding left in the fridge, he almost at once agreed to have it. I chuckled—I knew his weakness for chocolate! And while I, too, like chocolate, pudding isn't exactly my most favourite.

While he fed on some pudding, Mrs White went upstairs to have a bath and get ready for her work. I sat opposite him on the dining-table.

"I don't get how people can eat so much chocolate at once!" I remarked. "I mean, I love chocolate, too, but you are a crazy fan!"

He laughed as he took in another bite of the pudding. "We sure are a mystery, ain't we?" He winked at me.

I grinned. "I suppose."

We spoke some more matters as much inconsequential as the pudding as he worked through his snack. Then, he abruptly looked at his watch and jumped to his feet.

"Sorry, Pavlov, I need to go," he said, apologetically. "I'm going to be late as it is! Thank you so much for the pudding – er, can I take this along with me?"

I nodded with a smile. "Sure. Have some water before you go?"

"That'll be great, thanks!"

I quickly filled a glass and he drank it in one single gulp.

"Thanks again!" He picked up the pudding, gave me a hasty hug, and hurried towards the front door. I glanced upstairs before following him.

"See you tomorrow night!" I said waving as he got into his car.

He paused to wave back. "See ya!" He walked out the gate, got into his car - I followed him until the gate – and he drove away, waving at me one last time.

I gave a heavy sigh. "Now, that headache is over," I muttered to myself. Just then, I saw a couple coming in my direction and when they spotted me, seemed to whisper something among themselves. With embarrassment creeping up my body, I hurried back inside.

~*~

"He asked you out!?" exclaimed Iris in shock. "And I was worried that he was going to turn you in for lying to the police!"

I shrugged; the proverbial sweat drop would probably be seen behind my head. "I don't think so. I mean, he did seem casual – you know, his usual self..." My voice trailed away, because I wasn't sure of it myself.

And by the look on my friend's face, she knew it, too.

"Well then, I have a definite holiday tomorrow—I can play dress-up!" She had a certain gleam in her eye that I never particularly liked.

I gave a frown. "No, thanks."

She at once gave me a pleading look. "Oh, please..." dragging out the last syllable.

"The last time I let you have your way with that gleam in your eye, a can of red, green, and yellow paint was emptied down a lavatory."

She grinned. "So, yes?"