Chapter 8- "How important do you think YOU are?!"

JONATHAN POV

As I looked at her smile that lopsided, street-urchin smile that I've grown to love even more over the past couple of months, my heart gave a lurch and my stomach somersaulted. The effect she had on me was overwhelming. Her brunette hair was tied up in a loose ponytail. She wore a simple crop top with cut off jeans and her favorite Chuck Taylors. But at that moment, nothing was more of a delight to these blue eyes. You could put Megan Fox in a sexy one-piece next to her and I'd still not choose Megan. She was beautiful without knowing it. However clichéd it may sound, Scarlett actually had no idea about the effect she had on me.

Yeah, Marissa was nothing. Nothing but a device to see how Scarlett would react to me being with another girl.

Per se, she wasn't my ex. We never dated. All through seventh grade, she was mine and I was hers. It wasn't official. But the emotions involved were something I'm pretty sure even Allie and Evan never experienced. We never said I Love You to each other; our eyes did it for us. I can never forget how her cheeks turned pink and her eyes held a sparkle at my name. Man, I was whipped!

About a year and a half ago, when our second to last year of middle-school was about to end, she finally said those words. She said she loved me. I couldn't react and so I ran away from the situation. Which, now that I think about it, is the dumbest thing I've ever done. I was pretty sure that this wasn't real. I couldn't believe she loved me. My heart couldn't accept the simple fact that its feelings were reciprocated. I distanced myself from her. I was scared. Of what, I don't know. To make a long story short, that's why we're in this mess today.

All through eighth grade, I avoided her. I snapped at her and I pushed her away because I couldn't accept her love for me.

I was so put out by how I reacted when she told me she loved me, I didn't have enough courage to face her. I skipped Oliver's funeral, and next to not having seen Scarlett since high school began, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

It was getting hard for me to see her this way, broken and sad and I convinced Dad to move to the other side of town, persuading him by pointing out how much easier it would make his commute to his workplace.

I'm his only child and Dad agreed faster than I could weigh out the pros and cons of the idea.

Two and a half months without so much as a look from her proved that the move was a dumb idea.

I longed to see her, to hear her talk about Harry Potter and to just be around her once more.

I told Dad I missed all my friends and he agreed to transfer me back here, even though he was a little concerned about the travel.

To be honest, when I came back into her life a week ago, I was pretty sure she still loved me. I was finally ready to face her.

But what do I see? Scarlett's with Nathan. Nathan Cullen. She looked quite happy. I guess I could say the same for Nathan. They were laughing and chatting as if they'd known each other for years. I couldn't bear to see that. I walked away again. To tell you the truth, I'm kind of like a wimp behind this whole bad-boy image.

All through the week, she'd ignored me and chosen to spend time with him.

But today, I'd decided I'd settle this with Nathan for once and for all. Scarlett was mine. She could never be his. Never. And he would have to live with that. No boy except Emmett and Evan would be allowed to even talk to her. Not even Nathan. And I would see to that. Personally. Infact, if I had it my way, I'd make sure Nathan Cullen would never talk to anyone ever again.