31. A price worth paying

Start from the beginning

"Yes sir."

That was the instruction I gave to the men before leaving the cathedral and making my way down to the bottom of the hill where I waited while listening to the report of what was taking place at the cathedral. About ninety minutes later I got the call I'd been waiting for. Bastian, that bastard was on his way down the hill driving rather recklessly according to Salvador.

"Raúl. You're up."

"Yes, sir."

"Try not to kill him on first impact, will you."

"I'll do my best."

I put my helmet on and sped off on my bike. Raúl got in the truck behind me. He'd catch up soon. Salvador was already in position. I wanted it over with quickly. I sped by the speeding car and by Salvador who was gaining on him, before coming to a stop. I'd wait for approximately three minutes before changing directions and going back down the hill.

*Three minutes later *
Salvador: I'm on his tail.

Raúl: I'm almost there. Twenty seconds.

Talon: Salvador, block him.

Salvador: Done.

Talon: Good. Keep him from passing until Raúl gets there.

Raúl: I'm in position.

I picked up speed.

Talon: Now. Do it now. Salvador, let him go.

Salvador: Your wish is my command.

The minute Salvador allowed Bastian to pass him was the exact minute Raúl came around the bend. It was a head on collision. Raúl of course was fine, but as for as Bastian, well, one can't be sure. He tried to avoid it but it was too late and too sudden. The car spun a couple of times because he'd lost control before coming to a complete stop. You could barely recognize it anymore. I hopped off my bike and walked towards it.

Salvador: Be careful. It could blow any minute.

There were pieces of metal and shards of glass all over the street, and smoke was also coming from the car, but even after all of that he was still alive. Barely, but still alive.

"Help me," he croaked.

Help him? I wanted to beat the shit out of him, but that wasn't the plan. I removed the bits and pieces of glass that were left from the window so I could reach my arm in and pull his head back so he could get a good look at the last face he'd ever see in his miserable life.

"I told you I'd be the one to end you, just like I did your father and just like I will your entire bloodline. The Conti's will be erased from existence."

"You.. son...of...a...."

He couldn't finish because he started choking on his own blood. Gasoline had started leaking from the tank which would make this so much easier. I felt nothing but hatred towards this man. I let his head go and it flopped forward. There really was nothing more to say to him so I walked away while removing a small white cloth and a lighter from my pocket. As soon as I was a safe enough distance away, I placed the lit piece of cloth close to the gas that had somehow managed to move away from the car but left a trail behind, and watched as a line of fire raced towards the car.

"Let's go," I shouted. Raúl and Salvador took off and I wasn't far behind them. The explosion was so loud it was almost deafening, but satisfying.

"Make the call."

"Yes sir."

                                                      ***

I stared through the window of my office three hours later.

"How's Kara?"

"She seems to be fine. They finished questioning her an hour ago and she was released."

"That's good. Where is she now?"

"She's on her way here."

"Thank you. Let me know when she arrives."

"Yes sir."

I didn't know how Kara would react to this. She must have realized by now that it was no accident. I'm ninety-nine percent sure she knows this was my doing, and I'm worried about how she'll take it. I ran my fingers through my hair furiously. Whatever her reaction is I'll just have to deal with it.

About thirty minutes later Kara and I were staring at each other across my office desk. I decided to just wave the white flag. I didn't want to argue with her.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. Are you okay?"

"I'd feel better if you weren't standing so far away."

She didn't respond. Instead, she closed the distance between us by walking over and coming around the desk to stand less than two feet away from me. I turned so that I was facing her.

"Is this better?"

"Much."

I pulled her into my arms instantly and held her tightly so that she wouldn't escape.

"Thank you."

"What am I being thanked for?"

"Thank you for protecting me and keeping me safe."

"I told you I would. I made you a promise Kara. I always try to do my best to keep my promises."

I pulled away from her but caressed her cheek. She leaned into my caress and sighed.

"What do we do now?"

"Now, you are going to go take a bath and relax."

"I mean about what happened today."

I placed a finger on her lips to stop her from continuing but couldn't resist tracing them with my finger. In fact, I couldn't resist pulling her even closer and taking those lips in a brief kiss. She didn't stop me. She welcomed it. I hadn't tasted her lips in so long. I wanted more but knew it wasn't the time.

"Go on up and take that bath."

"Okay."

When she left I sat down heavily into the chair. The bulge in my pants was uncomfortable but I had to endure it for now. When I take Kara again I want it to be right.

It seemed however that Kara had her own plan, and I was too weak to stop her from fulfilling it.