31. A price worth paying

Talon
"Don't you think you're rushing things a bit?"

"No," I said to Raúl while buttoning my cuff links."

"What about Kara?"

"What about her?"

"Isn't she going to think that you don't trust her?"

"Why would she think something like that? I gave her three days to plan the funeral. She did it in two days. I never said I'd kill her husband at her father-in-laws funeral, so she has no reason to not trust me."

"I see."

"You don't approve."

"I approve of getting rid of the guy. I just think the timing isn't the best."

I only smiled. Raúl liked to plan things, then check and re-check many times before actually making up his mind to do something, and that's fine. My style is a bit different though. As long as there is more than a seventy percent chance of success I will execute whatever plan or idea I have. That's the difference between us. Besides, I don't need Raúl's approval. He works for me and will do whatever I tell him to, whether he agrees or not. The plan was good, solid. It will work. However, if for some reason Kara's response is less than favorable, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I clapped him on the shoulder. "You should be proud. You taught me well."

"I trained you well. There's a difference, De Luca."

"I suppose for you there is. Is everything ready?"

He smiled.

"I guess that's a yes then."

I looked myself over after putting on my jacket and took up my keys. It was going to be a long day, but I was looking forward to it.

While driving up the hill to the cathedral, I kept thinking just how dangerous this road is and how easily an accident could happen here, but that's the exact reason why I chose it. It would make what I had to do much easier. For the past two days I've been driving up and down this path making sure I knew every twist and turn to avoid making any mistakes. That is why it didn't take long for me to get to the top.

Kara wasn't kidding when she said she could pull off the funeral in two days. I had my doubts but looking around I could see that I shouldn't have. I already knew where Kara would be. I'd gotten the report of her location on the way up and I had memorized the interior layout of the cathedral so I knew exactly where they were standing and how many steps it would take me to get to them from where I was.

The minute I walked in that bastards grip on Kara tightened. He would pay for that dearly. I should rip his arm off, but I willed myself to calm down and even managed to put a smile on my face while walking over to them. Bastian sensing that I was a threat, pulled Kara closer to his side. Pathetic. I didn't wait for them to speak. I spoke first.

"I must apologize for my sudden appearance. My father was unable to make it, and as such I am representing the De Luca family here today. Allow me to offer my condolences."

I stretch my arm out for a handshake and he reluctantly took it while giving a forced smile. I didn't waste too much time on him. Instead my gaze shifted to Kara.

"Katarina, it's good to see you. You're looking quite lovely. It seems marriage suits you."

I couldn't resist leaning in and giving her a kiss on the cheek while lingering a bit longer than usual.

"Thank you," she said after I pulled away.

I disappeared after that. My work for now was done.

"I want eyes on Kara at all times."