fifteen

Later that night, in the bedroom, Jaskier laid unconscious on the bed as Geralt entered the room, tugging on the clothes Yennefer provided him

Later that night, in the bedroom, Jaskier laid unconscious on the bed as Geralt entered the room, tugging on the clothes Yennefer provided him. Beryl felt slightly bare in the attire Yennefer hand-picked for her. It was a loose, tan nightgown that was borderline see-through.

"My kind are normally naked in the water, but this seems odd for humans," she muttered.

Geralt looked over at Beryl, glancing away once he noticed her perked nipples. "This is a little tight."

Yennefer smiled. "I believed I sized you up quite right."

Geralt approached the bed and sighed.

"Do you doubt my capabilities?" Yennefer asked.

"No. Just your intentions. I said some things to him. He's  - "

"A friend?" Yennefer asked skeptically.

"I'd like it not the be the last thing he remembers," Geralt corrected.

"He won't remember much if he's dead." Yennefer chuckled but quickly created herself after seeing Geralt's face. "It's a joke. He will survive - and recover his vocal talents."

"We're thankful, Yennefer. Both of us are."

Yennefer smiled at Beryl and nodded. "Of course. It was starting to get boring around here, so some real company is nice. Does that satisfy you?"

Geralt noticed the sign drawn in wax onto the ground in front of the bed as Beryl and Yennefer continued to bond over silly things such as marriage, war, and sex.

Geralt stood up. "I'll be taking Jaskier now."

He eyed the set up of candles and symbols drawn with salt on the ground. The symbols sprawled out through the room resembled the symbol on the seal of the vase the djinn had come from.

Yennefer looked away from Beryl and cleared her throat. "If you wake him before he's healed, the spell won't take. That's no way to treat a friend, Geralt. Look how docile and kind Beryl is."

"You want the djinn, but the amphora's broken. The djinn's already long gone," said Geralt.

Suddenly, the candles around the sign flared up.

Yennefer rubbed perfume onto her wrists. "Do go on. Tell me how stuff works. The djinn is tied to this plane and its master. How many wishes did the bard express before he lost his voice?"

"You need Jaskier to make his last wish so you can capture it," he stated.

"So that's...two then," she stated.

"The djinn will fight you," he retorted.

Beryl felt woozy. She looked at Geralt through blurry eyes. It was as if she hadn't eaten flesh in a few days. "Geralt," she whispered.

He looked at her and stood up in time to catch her as she fell forward. "What did you do?" Geralt felt weak. The weight of Beryl caused his arms to buckle slightly. He dropped to his knees, cradling her body against him. "That scent... Lilac and - "

"Gooseberries," said Yennefer. "Tough to get in your head. You have a strong will, but you can't contend with me. Sorry, I couldn't be direct, I knew you'd fight it - and I do love a good old-fashioned trap."

Geralt's eyes flickered. "A good old-fashioned...nap." He closed his eyes and he fell backward onto his back, Beryl falling on top of him.