"We already fucking tried it, Dawn. Domonique was not apart of the family for years and look what that got us. Trust me when I say ain't shit going to happen to her. I'on even know why you would say that."

"Well what I'm 'posed to do, Rah? Let you ruin shit for all of us? Mama asked me to talk to you about this, and I need you to see why this ain't right. Domonique ain't gon' do shit but jeopardize this business. "

He was frustrated that his mother was still on this issue and tried to get to him through her.

"You're not fucking getting it, Dawn. We left her. Think about that shit. One day you and your family are all together, and the next, they up and leave your ass like you missed the bus or something. And we did not come back to visit, nothing. Me and Jordan and Mama just up and left because we got hot and rose to the top fast. Since then she has not done shit to hurt our family or what we got going on, so what's the change of heart now?"

Raheem thought of Dawn's siblings that he had met recently. "So if I told you to cut off Tali, Tre, and your cousins and 'nem you would do it? Just like that?" He asked. Her silence answered the question perfectly.

"Y'all may not like her but that is my sister. You parade around here like you so big on family and you really had the nerve to say that to my fucking face and mean it," he said it so low that it almost came out like a growl. He glanced over to Dawn and noticed that her eyes were watering.

He stood up from the bed and grabbed his phone and keys. He hated leaving things bad between his woman and him but this was something they constantly disagreed on. Everyone who knew about his sister believed they should never speak to her again.

But that was his baby sister, and leaving her in Monroe was hard enough all those years ago. He wasn't going to do it again.

Walking over to her side of the bed he kissed her forehead and walked out of the room.

"And if you listening to me and your sister talk, y'all need to do a better job of being quiet. Tre, I could hear your big ass feet stomping and Tali, you breathe loud," he said behind his shoulder. Dawn's siblings turned red in the face as he walked out of the double-doored entrance to get his sister.

Fifteen minutes had passed since she called Raheem to pick her up. Sitting on the steps of the school, she let the breeze cool her face as she waited for whatever luxury vehicle he was driving to pull up on the curb.

She watched her classmates stroll by, going to get into the cars they drove or simply talking to each other. She, however, only thought of how much longer she had until graduation.  A couple of months and she'd be gone. Geaux Tigers!

For a while, she imagined her and Jaylen both going to college together. The extent of their relationship was to blossom, becoming different each day. He would be on the football team, and as always she would support him from the stands. Nothing would change, yet everything would change. And after college, they would start careers, start lives, travel the world...

Now thinking about it, she felt like an idiot. How could she let herself believe that they would even last that long? That there would even be something to last.

Her phone vibrated up under her, and she searched the screen for Raheem's name.

wren 💗
Not gon be home until later tonight but Flora should be there if you needa get in and don't have your key. She'll try n make you sumn to eat but she can't cook.. don't let her burn my house down niquey!!

She chuckled at the text and told Wren where she'd be at.

Domonique felt bad for the lack of stability in her life. If she would have just went to New York with her brothers then she wouldn't feel so stuck. The whole situation with Ashanti was hell. Then moving in with Jaylen and the way they left things. Now she was dumping all of her issues on Wrenden and Flora. If the pattern was consistent, they would eventually get tired of her as well. She just could not lose any more people in her life.