~8~ Nightmares (PRELUDE)

Začít od začátku

Her trauma.

She was trapped. That's what terrified Dani the most, being trapped.

Trapped in the memories of her past.

Tossing and turning as well as choking noises begin to usurp the little girl's body from the outside, but evidently, it isn't enough to wake herself up from this nightmare.

The nightmares.

She wants to get herself out of this state before Deborah can mutter the ongoing promise that racks Dani to the core of her soul, haunts her, and would make it more difficult to bring the already scarred child out of such an agonizing episode of fright.

"I promise you..."

She's too late.

Nothing had been working, and Dani's heart felt as if a heavyweight had just been placed on it.

"I will find you, Experiment 124!" Deborah bites out, yelling much louder than last time - the sound echoing in Dani's ears.

"And I will kill you. I will!"

"I will―!"

Dani jolts upward out of her bed, screaming as a cry for help.

The young girl kicks her little legs around vigorously and wildly, the covers and sheets on her bed falling off in the process. Her vision is blinded by the squinting of her big green eyes in an unmistakable sense... of horror-stricken panic.

Dani panics.

Pressing her hands over her ears, she frantically tries to get the woman's words out of her head before she reappears in her mind again.

She is going to kill her.

The sound of the door leading into her bedroom bursts open, and stepping in is a wide-awake Steve Rogers, who eagerly makes his way over to where his adopted daughter fusses - desperate shouts growing louder

"Shh, Dani. Dani. It's okay, it's okay." His deep voice reassures her, muscular arms doing their best to try and stop her tiny hands from pulling at pieces of her long brown hair.

But even with his strength, the man ultimately struggles to hold her in place when she continues to move around rapidly. Dani - rightfully - is panicking at the feelings of somebody touching her, and due to previous imagery in her mind, produces more screams that end up coming out distorted as her nose and eyelids clog with tears.

Saltwater trickles freely down both of her cheeks and upon a few dripping onto his bare arm that continues to reach for her, Steve's demeanor instantly flushes from urgent, to careful - and he's gentle, "Dani, it's not real."