"I need a horse, preferably two," he muttered to the creatures.

The three Rashakas slid into their human guises and stalked into Arcona's twisting streets. Jack Linch followed, waiting for the sight of some stables. They drifted further to the, almost deserted, part of the city where the Death Keeper dwelt. They passed several dilapidated stables, but the Rashakas didn't stop. Finally, they stepped into the stables of a quiet, weatherbeaten tavern. Three horses stood side by side in their stalls, feeding.

Jack selected the two best and led them out, saddling one of them with an old saddle he found in a corner. Just as he was about to mount the horse, a dumpy looking man, presumably the tavern keeper, walked around the corner. His face shifted from shock to anger at seeing his animals stolen before his eyes,

"Hey! What–?"

He never finished. His body vanished in roaring ball of red flames. His charred remains collapsed to the scorched earth. Jack finished mounting and rode right over the burnt patch of ground, after tying the other horse to the saddle. The Rashakas vanished into the shadows appearing ahead of Jack periodically to guide him along the trail of his hated enemy.

***

Abdiel looked up at the endless rows of names that lined the ancient walls. It was both astonishing and unsettling to realize that every name etched into the wall represented a person who had been interred behind it.

"Turn left," said Denson, his voice uncharacteristically grim as they came to a fork in the dim passageway. He glanced periodically at Abdiel, but both men stayed silent. The dancing torchlight illuminated their faces and cast strange shadows on the walls and floors of the catacombs.

"You're upset," stated Abdiel finally.

"Of course I'm upset!" replied Denson, "Of all the things you've ever asked of me...this..."

"This is necessary," said Abdiel.

"Using the dead this way, borders on true disrespect," said Denson.

"I will never ask this of you or the dead again, but this time I need a way past Jack Linch. I have to assume he's close. This is the only way past him and the Rashakas."

Denson fell silent. His face remained somber in the dim light, unchanged since Abdiel had told the Keeper of the Dead his plan for slipping past Linch. Denson had simultaneously declared Abdiel's plan the most appalling sacrilege and summoned a number of Keepers to carry the plan out.

"Abdiel," spoke Denson after a moment, "I have been pondering the wisdom of your destination."

"Denson," sighed Abdiel, "I already told you–"

"–Yes. You see I was asking myself why my disrespectful friend, Abdiel would be going to Port Silver when it will likely bring him right past those who are on his trail. Surely there are safer places."

Abdiel looked away from the other man fixing his gaze on the darkness and the names on the wall.

"Then," continued Denson. "I realized that despite your boorish irreverence you always have a reason for everything you do."

"Yes, I do" nodded Abdiel looking at the shadows.

"So what reason could my ill-mannered friend, my oldest living friend, have for fleeing to Port Silver?" He paused, watching Abdiel. "The answer is that there is no reason to run to Port Silver for safety, no reason at all."

"Very well thought out, Denson," said Abdiel dryly.

"But," said Denson, ignoring the comment, "what if he wasn't truly running? Then would he have a reason?"