I

THIS NOVEL IS CURRENTLY UNDERGOING EXTREME RECONSTRUCTION PLEASE REALISE THAT, THANK YOU.

"Mia, I'm going to shoot you in the neck." 

The scene I had put myself in was of concern, I stood in front of the laser tag building, one of the biggest mazes in the world. Positioned in California, Inglewood to be exact, was where I stood watching Sandra buzz with excitement. We had been standing in the queue for almost forty five minutes and I could feel my feet growing with pain every time we shuffled forward, being Sandra's birthday it was an inevitable end that we would be in the the laser tag line waiting for hours on end. 

I could never say no though, she was a darling and had put up with my chundering all the way over here. On the plane trip I had been extremely ill and being the only person beside me -- I was in the window seat -- Sandra had to help me. So, in return she demanded that I come laser tagging with her. The only problem that I had with laser tagging was the flashing lights, I was fine in clubs, in strobe parties and all, but laser tag got right under my skin. I had never been too fond of mazes as well, I felt like I was constantly being chased.

"Sandra, what is the true reason that you like laser tag so much?"  I asked, genuine concern laced with a tonne of annoyance. Her plump, pink lips formed a sly smirk and I knew the answer before she opened her damn mouth.

She shrugged innocently, "I don't know, maybe because YOU HATE IT!" Sandra screamed, she had never been afraid of peoples stares, never cowering from the judgmental glares and sideway glances she got from passing people, only thriving to life from their opinions. 

I had learnt to only roll my eyes at her shenanigans, if I prodded for her to stop she would only grow in velocity. By the last shove and scold she would sound like a woman giving birth to a full grown man. So, I sighed keeping the small spark of a chuckle locked inside my chest, that would also just encourage her to be louder than before. I almost shrunk as the entire line turned to glare at her, though she just continued with her life, flicking through which ever social media she was interested in in the given moment. Sandra had the ability to forget exactly what embarrassing thing she had just put me through in an instance, I envied her too much.

We had come to California for a post-school holiday that would last three weeks and be too much fun to handle, though as I stood in the line, three families from the red velvet covered rope that marked the front I reconsidered my trip. It was still unclear to me why I still stood in the growing line, with Sandra and hadn't screamed at her that we were leaving yet, I guess I was too busy watching us slowly progress towards the front. It was an aesthetic to say the least. I had been staring at the same spot, the red, velvet sofa lining the wall adjacent to the entrance, for the entire forty five minutes of our time waiting, watching as we got closer and closer.  

My handbag was beginning to weigh on my shoulder, gravity heaving it towards the ground with far too much force for me to bear. I dropped it, it making a small clunk and ching, telling me my keys and everything else stuffed into the MK bag was possibly broken. Perfect. I watched as the previous flock of mostly children and their parents, a few stray teens and barely any older couples walked out of the dark, semi circular entrance. Black curtains parting for the school of people to flood from and into the lobby, making the air around me even more humid and moist. Even more perfect.

It was finally our turn to enter the dark abyss that I dreaded so very much, the leather strap of my bag found its way to my shoulder once again and we were lead into the depths. The man who spoke aloud to the group of fifty odd people was almost screaming to reach the back of the group, making me cringe without trying to mask it. He was instructing the group to leave all valuables in the sleeves aside from the rows upon rows of glowing vests, each one was either divided by the colour red, blue, green and white.